Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:07 PM

Gift Ideas

OK, here's my problem. I have a dear friend who will be 70 in a couple of months time. I've not seen her for some years as she lives in another part of the country. She's got Parkinsons and is wheelchair bound although she lives at home with carers coming and going. I want to buy her something special for her 70th, something easily posted preferably. I've tried bath robes (wrong size), wax hats so she needn't struggle with brollies (wrong size), confectionery that I know she loves, various things for her home and I've contacted her daughter (who's no help at all).

Flowers always seem a lazy option to me. Anyone got any original ideas? Thanks in advance.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:12 PM

Re: Gift Ideas

A yearly subscription to her favourite magazine - 'Yours' is a popular one.

A specially printed cushion with her name on or a photo of you both (if you have one)

Best of all would be if you caught a train and paid her a visit.
Purple lizard
Somerset
Purple lizard is female 

19-08-2019, 04:21 PM

What sort of books does she like ? Maybe a couple of audio books
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
A yearly subscription to her favourite magazine - 'Yours' is a popular one.

A specially printed cushion with her name on or a photo of you both (if you have one)

Best of all would be if you caught a train and paid her a visit.

I like that idea, Carol.
Sort of thing I'd like if it was one I always bought regularly.

I have 2 magazine subscriptions and really look forward to them arriving through my door.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
OK, here's my problem. I have a dear friend who will be 70 in a couple of months time. I've not seen her for some years as she lives in another part of the country. She's got Parkinsons and is wheelchair bound although she lives at home with carers coming and going. I want to buy her something special for her 70th, something easily posted preferably. I've tried bath robes (wrong size), wax hats so she needn't struggle with brollies (wrong size), confectionery that I know she loves, various things for her home and I've contacted her daughter (who's no help at all).

Flowers always seem a lazy option to me. Anyone got any original ideas? Thanks in advance.
Or maybe some really pretty fluffy Egyptian Cotton hand towels with her monogrammed initials on them. There are several companies online that will put her initials on them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 06:59 PM

The magazine subscription. is a great idea .
Goes on for an entire year.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The magazine subscription. is a great idea .
Goes on for an entire year.
I'd go for that one as well.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 10:40 PM

I wouldn't personally do the subscription thing. Did it once for family. They end up being pressured to continue the subscription long after your gift gesture is in the dim and distant past. I wouldn't appreciate that gift personally.

Personally I would buy her tickets for a great theatre production or musical in her local city or the nearest place. Go with her, make a night of it.

Getting out and seeing something like that will make a real difference

Plenty of musicals with music from her era that she will remember and love to hear I'm sure.

Or a comedy production. The Play That Goes Wrong is really good.

Or a thriller etc etc
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 11:16 PM

Something like a luxury throw or shawl she can wear in the wheelchair. Soft and warm fabric in some beautiful colours. It may be hard for her to hold a magazine with the parkinsons. But audio books are a nice idea if they are easy for her to use.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I wouldn't personally do the subscription thing. Did it once for family. They end up being pressured to continue the subscription long after your gift gesture is in the dim and distant past. I wouldn't appreciate that gift personally.

Personally I would buy her tickets for a great theatre production or musical in her local city or the nearest place. Go with her, make a night of it.

Getting out and seeing something like that will make a real difference

Plenty of musicals with music from her era that she will remember and love to hear I'm sure.

Or a comedy production. The Play That Goes Wrong is really good.

Or a thriller etc etc

I don't understand your 'pressure to renew subs' comment, Realist.
It is not hard to say No thanks, surely?

As I said already, I would prefer a year long gift about one of my favourite hobbies, than one night at a noisy musical!

It seems Carol, Muddy, and Tiffany, and myself, all agree it a good idea - unless of course the receiving lady doesn't have any hobbies or enjoy reading.

If you also recall, Eccles also said her friend wasn't in the best of health and had to use a wheelchair, so again, may not manage too well, nor wish for a late night at a theatre.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top