Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 05:21 PM

What if Scotland got their independence?

First thing is they would not have access to our national health, they would have to sort something out to cover Scottish peoples health. Looks like private medical insurance.
They would have to train up their own medical staff or employ from abroad

Hospitals would have to be supported by the Scottish government as would schools and social care and police and other official departments such as local councils.

To cross the border by train road or air would mean passport controls

The Submarine base would be moved to the south coast,we would not want a foreign country services our naval defence

Of course this means the Scottish people would be more heavily taxed to cover the cost with less work available.

this is just to mention a few things that they won't have

So in truth I just cannot understand why they want independence , please enlighten me. You can bet the EU won't bale them out
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Re: What if Scotland got their independence?

Overall, I don't think they truly do want their Independence and can't see what they would gain .
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 06:24 PM

We voted to remain in 2014 by a considerably greater margin than the Brexit vote and I think we would again. However the NHS was set up as 3 separate bodies 1 for England and Wales, 1 for Scotland and 1 for NI and responsibility for NHS Scotland is already devolved. We also have a higher tax rate than the rest of the Union.

The SNP are a one trick pony and have performed poorly in running the country, they even managed to lose seats to the Tories which is some achievement in Scotland.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:12 PM

The pro independence rally held up here in Aberdeen at the weekend didn't live up to expectations. Organisers trying to put a gloss on the rally said 12,000 attended but police said only 5,000 at most and many of them were bused in from the central belt.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...tland-49381793
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:58 PM

It's just that silly ambitious woman and a few rabble-rousers who think they want independence.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 08:42 PM

I for one would be sad to see the Scotts distance themselves from England and the UK in general. I've always admired them for their tenacity.....
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Ah well, here we go, Unionists getting worried already. However, it’s the same old same old and I’ll leave you to it.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 09:42 PM

Once again..as a distant observer...One of you asked why they want independence and what would they have if they left. Maybe independence itself is the most important thing?..Maybe they are prepared to take the risk on everything else. Maybe they will end up a failed state. Or maybe they just might succeed without the UK. I had a great time in the UK. Mostly I found the English fine (Although after about the 1000th time the convict jokes wore a bit thin but I still laughed politely..it was a small thing) and the Scots too. BUt I have to say with the amount of rubbishing the English dished out to the Scots - and have done seemingly for centuries - it's no wonder they want to go their own way. IT's the same here with New Zealand. Although they split from New South Wales in 1901.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:08 PM

If there is a referendum regarding an independent Scotland it should be UK wide. That would absolutely guarantee independence.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
(Although after about the 1000th time the convict jokes wore a bit thin but I still laughed politely..it was a small thing)

Well you did call a state New South Wales.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top