Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2014, 06:12 PM

Re: Going away for Christmas/New year.

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've often thought what I'd do if I was alone for Christmas and I reckon I'd look into charity work. Dishing Christmas meals out at a homeless shelter - something like that. There must be charities crying out for helpers.

In the process of helping others - you help yourself as well.
Been there done that and spent a number of surreal Christmas days taking tea and biscuits with 'gentlemen of the road' and night duty helping to pick up the pieces of some 'family Christmases' .

One thing which really touched me was answering the door of the charity to people who had used our services during the year and called in to leave boxes of biscuits and chocolates some of which we passed on to St Pauls hostel for the homeless.

It certainly beat sitting around watching boring TV and making polite conversation with relatives.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 05:05 AM

Wow so many differing views of how to spend Xmas - I know it is now September 2014!! but the topic heading got me! " Going Away for Xmas" - it means so many different things to so many of us.

I have certainly spent Xmas alone by choice once or twice and enjoyed most of it BUT at some point there was just that twinge of 'wouldn't it be nice to have a jar with someone and share a tale'

Yes I can certainly identify with those sentiments of 'sharing Xmas fare with those boring rellies once again - and now we have nothing really in common'

but now my rellies are much less in number and far away and I am beginning to long for one last Xmas together - so I guess it changes with the seasons!

I remember watching 'the best exotic marigold hotel' and thinking wouldn't it be great to get as many of the family as I could together in such a place for Xmas - not to imprison them there but for us all to do our own thing save one - Xmas lunch together! - it may be the last time we did it.

last xmas I am not sure what I was doing but my dear younger brother and his wife spent their xmas in spain where they lived - we could have gone I suppose, but chose not to. In January this year he died from a re-occurring leukaemia - it would have been of course the last Xmas to share with him.

Don't let's miss out on too many lost Xmases!
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 06:48 AM

I find it a little sad that quite a few have said they don't want to spend Christmas with boring relies. There are so many of my relies I would love to still have here,so they could still be part of our Christmas. The maiden aunts, the grandparents,they all brought something to the Christmas festivities.

I don't want to escape from them at Christmas. It's about the one and only time that many families can actually get together these days.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
I find it a little sad that quite a few have said they don't want to spend Christmas with boring relies.
I find it a great relief not to have to sit and listen to my domineering brother in law berating my poor sister , I could cheerfully have hit him over the head with his turkey
There are so many of my relies I would love to still have here, so they could still be part of our Christmas. The maiden aunts, the grandparents,they all brought something to the Christmas festivities.
I don't want to escape from them at Christmas. It's about the one and only time that many families can actually get together these days.
I am sure we all have relatives we would love to be here to spend time with at Christmas , I certainly do including my husband and father but sadly we don't have that option.
That said I am no longer a Christian so they might be a bit shocked. Celebrating Christmas at all is rather pointless for people like me and we only do it at all to fit in with the expectations of others.

I guess I am lucky in that my immediate family live near so I get to see them all the time.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 08:14 PM

We've been away to Florida,New York,Las vegas for Christmas every other year at home this year but who knows next year.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 10:39 PM

Obviously Christmases mean many different things to us all. Happy Christmases are remembered as such and not so happy too. Often they are or were the only time that families did seem to get together. But for those families who don't want to be together so be it.

My Christmases although sometimes considered boring as a teenager were still happy times. If I had the money I would take as many of my remaining family to places of interest whether in UK or abroad for Christmas. In some ways it seems to be a way of saying goodbye to some for the last time and for others - let's keep going for as long as we can! oh and by the way can I have your new phone number, email and home address!
Janet1947
New Member!
Kent
Janet1947 is female 

11-09-2014, 09:07 PM

We normally go away for new year,but we are staying at home this year.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 01:17 AM

Has anybody booked anywhere yet?
I know Jazzi was thinking of going away for Christmas...

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top