Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 05:35 PM

Re: Taking OFF To Iceland

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Ooh Meg, you're hooked on the famous knees as well, I see!
Oh yes Mags Bobs knees are legendary in Yorkshire
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Oh yes Mags Bobs knees are legendary in Yorkshire
He'll have them polished for his next photo
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Great photo Bob though I confess the tux outfit makes you look 10 years older ! I can see why you wear sporting gear more often !!

Something to note. If you are jogging around the prom deck (I'm hoping not) at 5:30 in the morning then I'm pretty sure that's against rules because there are usually cabins below the prom deck. It's certainly true of Aurora, her sister ship but I can't remember if Oriana has deck 6 cabins.

Perhaps you are jogging right up on top deck which is where people are requested to jog on Aurora. Rules might have changed of course. Worth checking though. I know I'd be fuming if I was in a deck 6 cabin and people were thumping around on my roof at 5.30am !!

Hope the sailing improves for you. You obviously have sea legs if the motion isn't making you feel queasy. If so that's an immensely fortunate boon.

Enjoy
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 07:47 AM

You look very James Bond there Bob

Hope you are having a good time x
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 07:50 AM

Hahaha, thanks Mags and Meg, more knees on the way.... Polished and moisturised as well....

Thanks for the complement Realist(I think!)..... Yes I noticed a sign on the prom deck exit door explaining the rules for early morning exercise. Deck 13 is the preferred running deck with an all weather synthetic surface partitioned off from the main deck. Its pretty well deserted at six in the morning and a very nice place to run, even when wet.....
Never had any problems with rough weather Realist, in fact.....It's quite exciting....Not for Mrs Fox though...

PS:- Thanks Summer, Iceland is a spectacular place and not at all what I thought it would be like. As Meg says, the people are very friendly indeed, and with a population of only a few hundred thousand on a land mass less than the size of England, there are plenty of empty open spaces.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 08:10 AM

The Cunard ship 'Queen Victoria' was already berthed as we arrived in Reykjavic, but left shortly after we docked...

Yesterday began with a five mile run around deck 13, approximately 30 laps.....

Yesterday's trip was called the ring of fire where we circumnavigated one of the most active volcanoes in Iceland. Our first call was at this power station that uses geothermal heat obtained from boreholes to produce steam for the turbines. Surplus heat is pumped through 18 kilometre long pipes to provide free heating for the residents of Reykjavic it also keeps the streets from freezing up in winter. Apparently, due to the excellent insulation around the pipes, only 2 degrees C is lost in transit.....

We visit a small park next where geothermal heat bubbles to the surface and creates great places to boil eggs and bake bread. We visited a cafe and sampled some of the local breads freshly baked on hot lava griddles producing a very tasty lunch....

Iceland is situated on two major tectonic plates, one side is the asia/european plate and the the other is the north American one. Separated by just a few hundred yards you can step between the European and American continent. This is what makes Iceland such a volcanic hotspot and the youngest formed landmass in the world, just a couple of million years old and still forming.....Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are occurring all the time and must be taken into account when building.....

So after a long day it's back to the ship and dress for dinner, I fell asleep on the bus coming back...

After a delicious evening meal and then being entertained by a slightly dubious Karen Carpenter we found our way into the Bee Gees concert, much better, but dancing and singing gives you such an appetite so we visited the top deck cafeteria for a nightcap....
No running this morning but as we sailed into Isafjorour at 5:30am I couldn't resist stepping out to catch this beautiful photo....

warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Interesting, I had a holiday in Iceland in February 2018 and flew over that power station in a helicopter. Got a photo somewhere
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Bob you do not look old at all in the tuxedo - through female eyes you look very dignified and, I have to say, James Bondish . *swoons*
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Nice pictures Foxy, especially the handsome chappy in the tux.
Glad you are having a good time. x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 12:48 PM

All looks great Bob.

Your "Bee Gees" concert I presume was a tribute by the band called Caravan. This band has pretty much lived on Aurora for the past 15+ years. We are thus very used to them. For some reason, after being the permanent band on Aurora they have suddenly popped over to Oriana. We greatly missed them last month. I assume it's just a special temporary arrangement for Oriana's parting cruises.

Caravan also do a tribute to the Eagles which is far superior to their Bee Gees number. If you enjoy the Eagles music then be sure to catch this performance which they always do on the cruise.

Scnery looks stunning up there. Hope the weather holds out for you.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top