Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Re: Fears come to fruition

Hi

The £ has fallen because of the threat of Brexit.

Our Benefits System needs serious changes if we are to have seasonal working for unemployed British.

This would include still paying Housing Benefit at their main place of Residence.

We rely on cheap labour for our foods, upping the wages will reflect in prices we pay.

Egg and Poultry farms are already highly automated, you still need humans.

You still need humans for the harvest, working day and night when the weather is right.

There is no way you could further automate slaughterhouses, meat packing, milking or yogurt and cheese plants.

You need to have a look at Mueller, Belton Cheese and ABP, incredibly efficient but still needing humans.

Palethorpes is another, they pay very good wages, but the English will not work rotating nights and weekends.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
This is exactly what happens when people use cheap labour instead of investing in machinery and automation.

I said this again just the other day when the remainers asked me what I meant by "automation".

It goes a bit like this. Another failure of the EU to chalk up

And the reason the workers dont come here us because of the lower value of sterling. Nothing to do with Brexit
And what has drive the value of the pound down?

Oh.......it’s Brexit !

As far as investing in automation it was only earlier this year that a fruit picking robot was devised and is still undergoing trials so until it passes its trial there is no automation to invest in
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
This is how we have cheap food in the shops. British farms struggle to survive as it is.
The fault of that is us, the buying public. We persistently want food to be cheap because the cost of living in the UK is expensive. Cost of public transport is one of the highest in Europe, the amount of taxes we pay is also the same, our utility bills, council tax, various insurances (life, contents, building,car). This is why man EU citizens leave the UK because once they get out of their multi-occupant living quarters and try to go it alone like the rest of us, they find they cannot afford to live here so they end up going back home to their own country. Again this is well know put the tabloid press will not report on it.

I get my milk from Iceland, £1 for a pint of milk. Now if the dairy producing farmers were to get their way and not have to struggle so much, that pint of milk suddenly becomes £3. Are you prepared to pay such a price? because i know many people are not.

I remember when the country suffered mad cow disease which crippled the countries dairy production, i read an article in the Sun newspaper at the time that highlighted the fact it was cheaper for Tesco's to import milk from USA than it was to buy it from UK farmers. It was the same with meat, supermarkets could import meat from countries such as Mexico and Brazil much cheaper than they could buy it from UK farmers.

This should never be allowed to happen but it does, all because of the buying public's desire to get their food as cheap as possible.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
This is exactly what happens when people use cheap labour instead of investing in machinery and automation.

I said this again just the other day when the remainers asked me what I meant by "automation".

It goes a bit like this. Another failure of the EU to chalk up

And the reason the workers dont come here us because of the lower value of sterling. Nothing to do with Brexit
Even from over in the united states you keep putting the blame for everything at the door of the EU. You must have been infested by the american virus.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
I remember when the country suffered mad cow disease which crippled the countries dairy production, i read an article in the Sun newspaper at the time that highlighted the fact it was cheaper for Tesco's to import milk from USA than it was to buy it from UK farmers. It was the same with meat, supermarkets could import meat from countries such as Mexico and Brazil much cheaper than they could buy it from UK farmers.

This should never be allowed to happen but it does, all because of the buying public's desire to get their food as cheap as possible.
But it will happen again, massively. After you leave the EU. The EU with it's tariffs on third country products at the moment protects your producers of agri products. After brexit the british population either pays high prices or the whole british agri sector goes to damnation.
verdoemenis.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

12-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
This is how we have cheap food in the shops. British farms struggle to survive as it is.
Do you think it would have helped if you were paying your foreign labour in euro's. So no problem's with exchange rates. In other words if you had been in the eurozone?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Do you think it would have helped if you were paying your foreign labour in euro's. So no problem's with exchange rates. In other words if you had been in the eurozone?
Hi

Absolutely not Solasch.

The only way a single currency can work is with a Central Bank and a Common Fiscal Policy.

The EU has very divergent economies, with different needs.

The EURO is very prescriptive and does not allow different economies, with different needs the flexibility to grow.

I am no Economist, far from it. my background is in Enforcement, Public Health and Public Safety.

My two kids are far more intelligent than me and are very good at economics, I trust their advice.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

12-10-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Absolutely not Solasch.

The only way a single currency can work is with a Central Bank and a Common Fiscal Policy.

The EU has very divergent economies, with different needs.

The EURO is very prescriptive and does not allow different economies, with different needs the flexibility to grow.

I am no Economist, far from it. my background is in Enforcement, Public Health and Public Safety.

My two kids are far more intelligent than me and are very good at economics, I trust their advice.
As you have pointed out before, assumably on your kids advice, britain's form of economy makes it prone to effects as selling short the pound in the brexit process. Ever heard of selling short the euro?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
As you have pointed out before, assumably on your kids advice, britain's form of economy makes it prone to effects as selling short the pound in the brexit process. Ever heard of selling short the euro?
Hi

I don't short sell anything, never had that sort of money to spare.

I did put some money into Polish Zloty as I thought the £ would sink after Brexit.

I have saved 20% on it and my cheap cigarettes and Vodka.

It is in no way affecting the £, it is less than many spend on their Annual Holidays.

Short selling the Euro.

Well every currency is short sold from time to time, it is what speculators do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 03:12 PM

If farmers paid decent wages they would get crops picked they have helped drive down wages recruiting abroad. Some companies over the past 30 years have been recruiting soley abroad where they can get workers cheaper. If they had advertised here with decent wages a lot of people would have taken those jobs.
Same happened in the cleaning businesses they prefered to bring in Eastern Europeans rather than recruit here. Now wages are too low for the traditional workforce to take they need top up benefits to manage.

Employers don't suffer but low paid workers do and tax payers pay for it all.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top