Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Re: Heart burn

Thanks everyone it’s gone today but I best stock up some of this stuff.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Unfortunately it's something most of us start to suffer from as we age. Just a few years ago, I could have gone to bed and slept straight after a curry and some beers or even a few rounds of toast but these days I sometimes get heartburn/indigestion even if I haven't eaten for a few hours.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 07:47 PM

My advice would be to find the root cause rather than embarking on long term treatment of symptoms with pills and potions. Heartburn could simply be the result of your digestive system failing to push food through quickly enough. Food and digestive acid is lingering in your stomach when it should have all passed through to the intestines. Could be a blockage somewhere, hernia, inflamed intestines etc etc.

Don't settle for fob off symptom remedies. Find the root cause so your body can get back to where it should be.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 09:10 PM

Be careful with omeprazole. They hand it out like sweeties and people end up hooked on it for years because it's so difficult to come off it for some. I took it but stopped and the reflux gets worse when you try to quit. I was on ranitidine but now I am not taking anything. Omeprazole is very effective for short term treatment. They have done various studies on long term use of this and other GERD treatments. I'm not sure it causes cancer, but I do think it messes up your body to take these for the rest of your life. I felt so much better after stopping omeprazole. A BFF really struggled to get off them because she would have excrutiating pain on withdrawal. Now she is fine without them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 01:50 PM

I know there are many reasons why you can get GERD but Mrs LD has discovered that it is much worse if she eats anything containing a lot of flour; so bread in particular.

The cough is infuriating.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 02:07 PM

My heartburn is physiological, result of blast damage years ago, internal injuries.

The medication manages it, another operation would be futile.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I know there are many reasons why you can get GERD but Mrs LD has discovered that it is much worse if she eats anything containing a lot of flour; so bread in particular.

The cough is infuriating.
Gluten is bad for the digestion even if you don't have an intolerance.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-10-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Gluten is bad for the digestion even if you don't have an intolerance.

I have tried the gluten free bread (not that I have a problem with gluten) but it does taste pretty horrible unfortunately.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 05:48 PM

The reason we get more heartburn as we age is because the sphincter muscle at the bottom of the oesophagus gets weaker allowing stomach acid to escape up your gullet.

As for general indigestion.....your stomach is getting older and the lining's wearing out a bit.

I was put on Omeprazole years ago but these days I only take it when I really need it. I think most of my digestive issues were caused by stress.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

29-10-2019, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I have tried the gluten free bread (not that I have a problem with gluten) but it does taste pretty horrible unfortunately.
Most of it is pretty dire. The Genius bagels are nice toasted and BeFree do some nice granary. But yes best to avoid much of it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top