Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 05:25 PM

A huge waste of taxpayers money.

With all the hype that the main parties are putting out about how much money they will spend to combat climate change and becoming 'Carbon Neutral' by such and such a date, aren't they wasting our money and should be spending it on useful projects like the NHS, education and transport etc.
I personally think we are being conned by this whole CO2 malarky, and even if you believed it might make a difference, the UK only represents 0.21% of the world's surface, so it would amount to more suffering for the British people with virtually no results whatsoever on a world scale...
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Re: A huge waste of taxpayers money.

My thoughts exactly, OGF!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
With all the hype that the main parties are putting out about how much money they will spend to combat climate change and becoming 'Carbon Neutral' by such and such a date, aren't they wasting our money and should be spending it on useful projects like the NHS, education and transport etc.
I personally think we are being conned by this whole CO2 malarky, and even if you believed it might make a difference, the UK only represents 0.21% of the world's surface, so it would amount to more suffering for the British people with virtually no results whatsoever on a world scale...
I completely agree, Old Grey One.

What it boils down to is spending a fortune simply to salve certain people's consciences. It is one definite reason why I would never vote for the Green Party.

If naive individuals want to waste their money that's up to them, but they have no right to waste mine.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 08:33 PM

The uk has a history of over estimating its importance in world
affairs OGF!
Remember King Canute?
I must agree with you that we can only have a negligable effect on
the global enviroment given our small size and the fact that we have
allready given up the use of coal, and have almost given up our
heavy industries and manufacturing base at great cost to our
so called working classes!
They say that as the4th or 5th largest economy in the world we
should do more for the enviroment? But they forget that our
economy size is measured by our consumption, not production,
therefore it would make more sense to limit our consumption in order
to cut emissions etc??
Regards Donkeyman!
This would have the further benefit of improving our balance of
payments problems as well?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:59 AM

the UK only represents 0.21% of the world's surface, so it would amount to more suffering for the British people with virtually no results whatsoever on a world scale...
I wish I had thought of this when I was working. I could have gone the the Tax Office and said that my measly few thousand dollars of tax was less than 0.0001% of the Australian government's total tax income so I didn't need to suffer paying tax any more as it wouldn't make any difference on a national scale.

Brilliant idea, bound to work.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I wish I had thought of this when I was working. I could have gone the the Tax Office and said that my measly few thousand dollars of tax was less than 0.0001% of the Australian government's total tax income so I didn't need to suffer paying tax any more as it wouldn't make any difference on a national scale.

So you believe we can reverse climate change Brucy?
You are the same as King Canute!
We are in the same position as a surfer who has hooked a bigger
wave than he intended! We have to ride it to the end or untill we
fall off!
Donkeyman!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Hi

There is a logic in investing in Renewable Energy, we do not have to import it and we are nor reliant on Global Price Changes.

Germany has a system whereby when they produce too much they give it to industry free.

We can slow down climate change if everyone stopped pumping CO2 into the air.

We cannot however beat Mother Nature.

The Planet went through massive climate changes for 100s of Millions of years long before we infested the Planet.

Global Warming?

We are due another Ice Age and we will not stop that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

You seem to have neglected to point out Bruce, that in your case everyone else was contributing....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-11-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There is a logic in investing in Renewable Energy, we do not have to import it and we are nor reliant on Global Price Changes.

Germany has a system whereby when they produce too much they give it to industry free.

We can slow down climate change if everyone stopped pumping CO2 into the air.

We cannot however beat Mother Nature.

The Planet went through massive climate changes for 100s of Millions of years long before we infested the Planet.

Global Warming?

We are due another Ice Age and we will not stop that.
I think investing in renewables is a great Idea Swims, I even mentioned it in my opening post.
However, most countries do not share in our enthusiasm about reducing the nasty CO2, and our measly 0.21% will do diddly squat to the overall world production of CO2. Especially because nature is the main contributor. We are being conned good style!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 07:18 PM

I think investing in renewables is a great Idea Swims, I even mentioned it in my opening post.
However, most countries do not share in our enthusiasm about reducing the nasty CO2, and our measly 0.21% will do diddly squat to the overall world production of CO2. Especially because nature is the main contributor. We are being conned good style!
True, but it keeps Greta, the Limp Dems and the Greenies in a job!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top