Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 09:44 PM

Are you going to to have a fresh or frozen turkey ?

I will have a frozen TBH they are just as good as fresh ,
Plus they are half the price ,have to watch the pennies frankley.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 09:53 PM

Re: Are you going to to have a fresh or frozen turkey ?

Fresh I hope! But I must admit that I have never checked. My brother always does a big family Christmas so I haven't roasted a turkey for years because we always go there on the big day. If I were cooking a turkey I'd definitely buy fresh. It's a special day.

I do know that SiL's niece tried to Christmas dinner for her family a few years ago and didn't realise how long a frozen turkey takes to thaw. They ended up pretty hungry, so knowing how early to thaw is the only problem IMO.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I will have a frozen TBH they are just as good as fresh ,
Plus they are half the price ,have to watch the pennies frankley.
My dear wife cooks turkey thighs. Not for us. She reduces them down to get the juices to make turkey gravy - with a few added components of course! That's for Christmas lunch.

She takes the meat off the bones and that becomes little treats to add as a tasty topping to the dog food. The bones get binned.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:03 PM

WEll doing it as long as I have [not any more as the baton has been passed to DD] I know full well how long they take to defrost. lol
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:18 PM

I never buy a whole turkey as no-one likes the leg meat - so my butcher does me a fresh 'crown' - which reminds me - I had better put in an order!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Neither, we don't like turkey, it's a big joint of beef for us.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Same here Roxy. Daughter's partner cooks it too, at their place. I don't have to do a thing.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:55 PM

Not trying to be gratuitously different but we don't usually have poultry at Christmas apart from some cold duck. Its a typical Australian Christmas usually. A huge Barramundi grilled on the BBQ with various other seafood - octopus, prawns, squid as side dishes: a big glazed pork or ham and more salads than you could wave a stick at. Usually everything is eaten cold. But if I was in the UK or North America I would love to have a traditional CHristmas dinner with the turkey and the rest. But here it's just too hot.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 11:59 PM

Ours will be cooked before we eat it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Same here Roxy. Can't abide the stuff and the smell it makes when cooking is nauseating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top