Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 02:09 AM

To Give or Not to Give

I was going to put this in the thread about the lottery win but I thought it would be better to start a new one. PLease forgive the long introduction. I beg your indulgence on this question. IT has always been an important one for me. Both at home and in my travels overseas - mostly in North America, UK and Western Europe - I have encountered many homeless people on the streets of large cities in Affluent first world countries. Cities that are listed as "Alpha" cities. Cities that see themselves as leaders of the world. Cities such as New York, San Francisco, Chicago, London, Paris etc. And cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Perth here. You know the story. Some sit on the sidewalks with little placards asking for money. Others approach you in the street with their hand out and the rest just lie, corpse-like in a grubby bundle or just sit staring into space. When I was in London on a cold winter's day in a tunnel near the Tower, I saw one old man huddled in a doona/ duvet. I gave him a pound note and he responded with the voice deep, resonant and with the diction of a prince.."Thank you sir" he said "God bless you".

I have also encountered almost as many opinions from others as to whether to give money to people like this. Everything from "Sure. For whatever the reason, they have nothing. I have a few bucks to spare. Why not"..to..."Bugger them. They are bludgers. Let them go and earn their own money. Get them off the street"..and all in between. NOw I promise there will be no judgements from me. I am not trying to put you in a moral dilemma here. I am just interested in what people think. GIve or not give?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 02:13 AM

Re: To Give or Not to Give

I've gone into the nearest shop on occasion and bought a homeless person a coffee to keep them warm or a sandwich.
I never give them money though as you can never be sure if they are feeding a drug habit. We don't know their reasons as to why they are homeless.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 02:30 AM

I'm selective but I do give if they look really miserable.
I couldn't live on the street myself,I'd have to get myself arrested and be treated to a nice warm cell.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 03:03 AM

Every Saturday when I take my dad shopping there is a man sat outside Gregg's which is a sandwich/coffee shop. He is even there on rainy days. His home is a tent further down the high street but I think he sits outside the sandwich shop because it sells food and drink and he's hungry

I buy him coffee and a bacon sandwich every week but last week he told me he has just eaten so I bought him coffee and a mince pie. He's always polite and grateful. My dad always gives him a pound coin. He isn't a drug taker or drinker, he is just homeless with mental health problems.

I used to buy an elderly eastern European lady food and drink too till I found out she was a scammer, she was see found to be having a home and just taking the piss out of people who genuinely felt sorry for her. I felt a fool when I found out

The man is a genuine homeless man so i.ll continue to help where I can.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 03:51 AM

We have an exceptionally run local organization (transparent, low overhead, all volunteer staff) that does nothing but directly house, feed, clothe, employ and make available medical services for the local homeless. I give directly to them.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 07:45 AM

I always wonder what their story is. I mean once they were babies most likely loved and cared for....I wonder what went wrong and how they ended up where they are.

I'm aware there are scammers it was reported in our local paper that groups were coming in on the train to Ilkley specifically to beg some even have children with them mostly Eastern Europeans.

I do give if I think someone is genuine or buy them food although we also have a crisis number and if it's cold we can report if someone doesn't have a bed for the night and a charity comes with the offer of accommodation....but the offer isn't always taken up. It's not nice is it....so sad people end up in that situation.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 08:10 AM

In the UK homeless is a term that has been devalued because it is being applied to those living in temporary accomadation. It is now lumped in with vagrants (let's call them what they are) to make a cheap political but invalid point.

NO ONE NEEDS TO BE A VAGRANT IN THE UK.

People who chose to use the tax payers money they get on booze and drugs are making a choice.

That being said I'm still inclined to drop something be it a couple of quid or a bit of nosh because everyone makes mistakes in their lives.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 08:19 AM

I remember realist talking about this subject as he volunteers in helping the homeless so maybe he will pop in and tell us his interesting story .

A book written by a once homeless lady called kit about her 40 year life on the streets in London tells it all . Kit says do not give to the homeless because you keep them on the streets and many buy drink and drugs .

The book is called "pavement for my pillow " if I can remember her full name I'll add it later

Having read the book about 15 years ago I don't give . My son bought a homeless man a coffee and a sandwich the bloke was rude and shouted he would rather have money . Son said he will never give again .

Too many scammers where i live some have free flats paid for by social security.

I remember the old tramps when young mum always gave them food and hot drinks .

CHRIS KITCH . PAVEMENT FOR MY PILLOW
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 08:31 AM

For every 10 scammers, there is one person in crisis, you just have to trust you can recognise the one I suppose.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
When I was in London on a cold winter's day in a tunnel near the Tower, I saw one old man huddled in a doona/ duvet. I gave him a pound note and he responded with the voice deep, resonant and with the diction of a prince.."Thank you sir" he said "God bless you".
Kinda dates it.

My dear wife gives to a girl we sometimes see on a bench outside our local Morrisons. She is well educated judging by what she reads but lives under a nearby bridge. Homeless. Makes you wonder about the circumstances that led her, and others, to such circumstances.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top