Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Worried About Your Memory? Read This!

Hello all.
I think that most people worry about their memory, I know that I do.
But I found this article in today's Daily Mail quite reassuring...

Why EVERYONE over 40 forgets their PIN number, but oldies are better at crosswords than their children! Decade by decade, how your age affects your memory.
Losing your keys, popping upstairs to get something, then forgetting what it was - we all have memory lapses, but are our 'senior moments' really due to advancing age? Here TANITH CAREY reveals the fascinating truth about how your memory changes through life...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ts-memory.html

Caro
At Home In The UK
Caro is female  Caro has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 02:34 PM

Re: Worried About Your Memory? Read This!

Very informative thanks Joe...er Kenny ...
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by gruff23 ->
Very informative thanks Joe...er Kenny ...
Thanks Gruff.
Yes, very informative, particularly as I now know that in forgetting a pin number, or why I went into a room, or what someones name is, or where my keys or other objects are is 'normal' for my age!

So do you remember the song... I Remember You?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgm0KNICGcU

Now I sing I Don't Remember You!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 04:52 PM

Interesting Boozer..

Researchers at the University of Stavanger, in Norway, found that when we write by hand, memory formation is reinforced by the physical movement.
I have noticed if I write a shopping list and then forget to take it with me I can remember what was on the list . The fact of writing it down has reinforced the content in my mind.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 07:41 PM

Bet you're very relieved about that article Kenny! Now where did you leave those keys? ..................................
.................................................. ................. they're in your pocket!!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

15-01-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Interesting Boozer..

I have noticed if I write a shopping list and then forget to take it with me I can remember what was on the list . The fact of writing it down has reinforced the content in my mind.
Funny you should say that Meg.
My Wife read the newspaper article at home earlier in the day,
and she put to me exactly the same advice!

I am going to take that advice and use it to help remember our mobile telephone numbers!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

15-01-2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Bet you're very relieved about that article Kenny! Now where did you leave those keys? ..................................
.................................................. ................. they're in your pocket!!
Very funny!
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 08:05 PM

I need to write lists for several tasks which is a great help to me and besides I enjoy ticking them when completed
Interesting reading Boozer.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

15-01-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by venus ->
I need to write lists for several tasks which is a great help to me and besides I enjoy ticking them when completed
Interesting reading Boozer.
Thank you Venus, and it is very nice to see you posting.
Yes, as we get older I think most people worry about being affected by Dementia and the rest.
The article put my mind at ease somewhat.
I think!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2016, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Why EVERYONE over 40 forgets their PIN number, but oldies are better at crosswords than their children! Decade by decade, how your age affects your memory.
Losing your keys, popping upstairs to get something, then forgetting what it was - we all have memory lapses, but are our 'senior moments' really due to advancing age?
I never forget my PIN number
I have never lost my keys
I don't forget my passwords

It's not about memory. It's about approach, technique and understanding how the mind and brain work. It is a skill to be learned. As with everything in life, either you can be bothered to learn something or you can't. If you can't be bothered to learn how to store miscellaneous information in your mind, how to create systematic passwords, how to routinely put objects like keys in the same place, then predictably you are going to come a cropper many times.

One of my hobbies is baking real breads. Sourdoughs, Baguettes, Focaccias, Ciabattas, white loaves, seeded loaves, long fermented loaves and so on.

Do I need to remember all the individual recipes for all these breads? Nope.

Do I need to keep a recipe book with details of each loaf? Nope.

It's all in my head. Available on tap. Not any individual recipe, but the principles by which bread is created from the base ingredients of Flour, Salt, Yeast and Water. From the knowledge of how the percentage of water affects the consistency of the dough and the final result. From the understanding of how a dough feels at different stages of its proofing. From the understanding that different types of flours soak up different quantities of water and need different lengths of time to proof.

There will be a lot of older ladies on this forum who gel with such principles with their knowledge of cooking and baking. They will similarly be capable of making all kinds of things without the need to resort to recipes. Ask them to make a batter for pancakes and they will reach straight for the milk, flour and eggs and start whisking up a mixture in a jug. No measuring, no MEMORY orientated effort, just KNOWLEDGE, TECHNIQUE and UNDERSTANDING.

Youngsters often get frustrated when they ask Granny how to make that batter. "How much milk should I use? How much flour?" and the answer comes back, "You just know when there is enough and the mixture "feels" right"

It's odd in many respects that ladies who can do this kind of thing, don't apply the same principles to things like computer passwords and keeping keys, bank cards in place. Use a system, use common principles so you just "know" when something is right. Don't remember a password, derive it from your principles. Don't remember where you put your keys, just "know" where they will always be according to your set principles.

Take control.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top