Join for free
Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 11:17 PM

Re: Self-defence for the older person

Originally Posted by TessA ->
There's no flippin' way anyone is going to get away with taking things that are mine or trying to do anything to my body!
I'll bite, scratch and kick 'em! It'll probably hurt me more than it does them but, I will fight if I have to! Grrrr!

That's the spirit gal.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2017, 11:18 PM

Worn meself out now!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 05:02 AM

Haha. There's some great replies on here, thanks all!
I've never come across so many feisty, 'get-in-there' (elderly) folk who just want to kick someone's head in or gouge out their eyes lol!!
Big lad that I am, I think I'd rather hang around some of you lot if I ever got into a situation - I'd be quite safe!

Joking aside, I think my sheer size would deter most thugs who should decide to get shirty with me. A good hefty weighty arm on their shoulder may see them off before they got more serious. Always best to simply try to diffuse the situation by some wise words though, if you have those mediator skills.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 06:56 AM

Depends on the situation, if all they are after is your handbag well I suggest just give them it and avoid any violence. If it was someone wanting to do physical harm I would scream and run, at least I think I would. It's difficult to know how you would react faced with those situations, I've surprised myself in the past but common sense tells me we should scream and run.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 07:18 AM

Hi

I was looking for something in the garage yesterday when I came across an old pair of my fishing socks.

I really should carry them around in a plastic bag and gas the assailant with them.

They really do stink.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 07:31 AM

I was wondering what the smell was swims
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 09:23 AM

If you are trained in a martial art, there's no need to 'think' about it, your reaction would be second nature.

An ex girlfriend of mine trained in Karate and one day when a work colleague crept up behind her and grabbed her bum, she immediately stamped on his shin without having to think about it. Ouch!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 10:02 AM

I don't think anyone would need to attack me these days my balance is such that just tap me with a finger and I go down I do carry a stick sometimes two I'd use them but I'm not sure how effective that would be mainly because I wouldn't want to hurt anyone.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 10:30 AM

Flight or fight. You dont really know how you will react until it happens.

About 4 years ago I saw OH off to work and then headed out with the dogs.
When I got back I found the back door on the latch and I knew Id locked it.
Without even stopping to think I put the dogs in the garage and grabbed the jack handle, crept into the living room where the door to the upstairs was open...(I'd left it closed) ..By this time I could hear someone moving about upstairs and I was angry, I was getting really really angry about anyone daring to think they had the right to come into my house and take my stuff......
As I heard footsteps on the stairs I took up position behind the door with the jack handle raised..
At which point my eye caught sight of OH's lunch box on the table..

I called out his name and he answered, just in time not to get his brains knocked out.

I think then I knew Im a fighter not a flight type..
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 10:39 AM

I have been watching videos of this very thing lately - rise in violence against the elderly in parts of the US. Let's face it it depends how 'elderly' a person is. Some of those attacked were defenseless. Even the ones that tried to put up some sort of a show didn't fare much better. I suppose the best protection is to keep as fit as you possibly can for as long as you can at least then you have some sort of fighting chance. Would they carry out such attacks in Texas? Sure made me think. A gun is one hell of a leveler. Of course such attacks occur here too. The worrying thing for me is whether or not it is a growing trend.

Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top