Join for free
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Politicians break election promise to students

This is a bit of a rant...

Those of us who worked at the polls in the election last fall noted the high turnout of younger, student-age voters - many of whom likely supported the party that made a campaign promise to reduce university tuition (for Canadian students in the province of Ontario) by 30%.

Instead of this reduction, the gov't has today announced a 5% increase in tuition.

This is the 7th year in a row they've raised it: so since 2006 tuition fees have increased by 71%!

More and more students are applying for loans in order to get a decent education. I'm grateful my girls graduated before it became impossible - I raised them as a single parent from the time they were 13 (triplets), when their dad walked out.

They each maintained good marks while working part-time to save for their education and I kept us on a tight budget so I was able to contribute from my salary as well.

I've heard that university education is free in some countries.... comments?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 08:37 PM

Re: Politicians break election promise to students

It's certainly not free in England Annie. I think Scotland Universities are a different but for Scottish students, not English. University fees are quite a consideration these days and the majority of students here have to take out loans and leave Uni. with considerable debt. Like you I am relieved that both my children are older and managed to get through University and obtained their degrees without having debts afterwards. My daughter has just gained her Masters and fortunately her employer paid her fees and she worked while she did it, although it took a lot longer doing it that way.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Re: Politicians break election promise to students

None of my two children went to university so I'm not sure of the cost, but I hear it's very expensive and few can afford it, the Government give some kind of grant but they are considering removing it under the present state of the Country's finances. Full credit to you AJ for setting the Girls up all on your own.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top