Join for free
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 02:19 AM

St. Patrick's Day partying turns to student riot, London, Ontario, Canada

I did my share of drinking and partying during my college years, but this full-scale rioting, which took place a few kilometers from my home on Sat. night, is so shocking.

A news van was overturned and torched. Wooden fence panels were ripped out and tossed on the fire. A propane bbq tank was rolled into the flames. Had it been full and exploded there surely would have been deaths. Police were attacked with bricks, boards, bottles - 18 police cruisers were damaged, some with windows smashed out.

"On Saturday night, an alcohol-fuelled mob of 1,000 young people caused about $100,000 damage on Fleming Dr.

Hooligans trashed the street and attacked police.

A CTV news van, overturned and engulfed by 20-foot-high flames, exploded a number of times as a mattress, a big-screen TV and other items were added to the inferno.

Police finally gained the upper hand after 4 a.m., when the mob began to thin out."

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...19-135546.html

One of my girls graduated from Fanshawe College 2 years ago. Great school, great reputation.... now sullied by this outrageous behaviour. Some students worry that their job prospects are at risk because employers will associate their school with trouble-makers.

Arrests have been made. Let there be consequences severe enough to deter this even happening again.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Re: St. Patrick's Day partying turns to student riot, London, Ontario, Canada

never herd that on the news here Annie
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Goodness me! I thought we were bad enough in our country!

What has happened to the youth of today?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Gosh Sue that looks scary
Still,each generation has it's trouble makers, this lot are not unique. I remember being terrified of the 'teddy boys' who strutter about in our small town with their knives and chains and had regular fights outside particular pubs.

Thankful the majority of he young people cause very little trouble .
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2012, 11:40 PM

Only just seen this, must have been very scary.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2012, 01:57 AM

Yesterday 2 young men waiting in line behind me in a store were talking excitedly about it, wishing they had been in London on the weekend. They were sorry to have missed the chance to overturn and burn a truck and smash windows out of police cruisers! I had to refrain from turning around and saying something.

Today's paper had interviews from some of the college's students who weren't involved. One has already lost a co-op placement because the employer told him bluntly that they won't have anyone from that school working for them.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Well good for him say I,its very scary, and glad you didnt tell them what you thought. My first husband was a policeman and he always said never say what you saw or heard,you could be given a lesson later by someone who saw you.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top