Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Budget 2012

George Osborne has managed to scam those of us of a certain age, not once but twice!!! - In November last year he announced the increase in pensions and benefits which would go up next month. However, as we now all know, he increased those pensions and benefits not by the percentage rise in the retail price index as had been done by previous governments for some years, but a much lower index, the Consumer Price Index.

Not content with that, as of yesterday's budget he has managed to scam yet more money from us to pay his super rich cronies by abolishing the pensioner's tax allowance and freezing the amount for those already in receipt of such allowance.

Those of us with Loooonnnggg memories will remember this three years hence come the next election when. with any luck and justice the Tories (phth, phth, phth) and their cronies in the Condems will be wiped off the political map once and for all.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Re: Budget 2012

I am not particularly unhappy with the budget.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I am not particularly unhappy with the budget.
Wait till next April (2013) Willow darlin' - this is what's happening.

Pensioners are facing a massive squeeze in their finances after changes announced in the Budget, while millions of workers will be better off.

In his Budget statement, Chancellor George Osborne announced that income tax allowances for pensioners will be frozen in cash terms, in a move he expects will raise £3.3bn for the Treasury.

In an attempt to simplify the tax system, the age-related allowance will be frozen from April 2013 at £10,500 for those over 65 and at £10,660 for those over 75.

The move will affect 4.5 million pensioners, with the average over-65 down £80 a year.

A person already claiming their pension will be down £63 a year and a soon-to-be pensioner will be down £197 a year.

Analysts and pensioner groups have warned of the dire impact the move will have.

Dr Ros Altmann, director general of Saga, told Sky News it was "an outrageous assault on decent middle-class pensioners".

"This Budget contains an enormous stealth tax for older people," she said.

Angela Beech, a senior tax partner at London Chartered Accountants, Blick Rothenberg, said: "Pensioners have been left out in the cold by the Chancellor."

Joanne Segars, chief executive of the National Association of Pension Funds, added: "It is pensioners who are the biggest losers in today's Budget.

"Over the course of this parliament pensioners stand to lose over £2bn in age-related tax allowance.

"Pensioners with modest amounts of pension savings stand to be the biggest losers."

In announcing an automatic review of the state pension age, Mr Osborne also paved the way for it to rise much earlier than had previously been thought and forcing millions to delay their retirement until their 70s.

Dot Gibson, general secretary of the UK's biggest pensioner organisation the National Pensioners Convention, said: "The Chancellor is effectively stealing retirement years from millions of ordinary workers whose life expectancy is far lower than the very richest in society."
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-03-2012, 04:07 PM

The move will affect 4.5 million pensioners, with the average over-65 down £80 a year.

Oh dear so much for the world cruise! I don't think my husband and I are going to worry too much about that!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 04:18 PM

There is never any help for middle earners like myself so I have learned to accept it. When I retire most of my income will come from my private pension schemes which I have paid into all my working life. When I get the state pension whatever it is will be a bonus.

What they should do is scrap all child benefit unless your circumstances change. Why should the government pay you money because you choose to have a child. Its rubbish and it would save this country a shed load of money which they could put into something more worthwhile like the NHS or pensions.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
There is never any help for middle earners like myself so I have learned to accept it. When I retire most of my income will come from my private pension schemes which I have paid into all my working life. When I get the state pension whatever it is will be a bonus.

What they should do is scrap all child benefit unless your circumstances change. Why should the government pay you money because you choose to have a child. Its rubbish and it would save this country a shed load of money which they could put into something more worthwhile like the NHS or pensions.
Absolutely, 100% behind that. If somebody chooses to have kids they should be prepared and able to support them without any financial hand-outs from the Government. I've been saying this for more years than I care to remember.

Nobody under the age of 18 who has a child should be able to claim child allowance, unless they're married. Ooooh, I could get on me soap-box here, but I'd best not!

Anybody that has more than one child and doesn't work, expecting the state to fork out, should have any further payments stopped.

I wouldn't want to see any child go without, but that is the responsibility of the parent. Too many kids having kids these days.

Trust the Government to grab back what they can from pensioners, many of whom exist only at poverty level already!
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 01:05 AM

Child benefit was introduced to help families and i don't see a problem with that, but it should be means tested, that has been the problem from day one.

I feel for the pensioners who are made to suffer living on the poverty line.

And the sooner the Tories are out the better
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 02:14 AM

Child Benefit was introduced just post-war to encourage women to have children to build up the population again in 1945.

My mum got 7/6d a week for each of us children in the 50s, but in today's society the pay-out is enormous at £20 per week per child, and it is not means-tested. Ludicrous.

Even royalty and the aristocracy can claim it, although I'm sure they don't.

I do have a problem with folk claiming child benefit and it should no longer exist.

Why should someone who has paid tax all their lives, only for some of it to go the irresponsible, unworthy and downright scroungers on society? I'm not saying that everyone falls into this category. Of course they don't, as some parents work and put into that pot but, for those that do work, shouldn't actually need to draw from the State.

That money should be put back into the pockets of folk who have not only worked all their lives and put into the pot, but for those old darlings who fought for this worthless country in WWII, only to draw a pittance for their efforts in old age.

So sorry, but this is something I do feel very strongly about. If you have kids - pay for them yourselves - or don't have them.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Child Benefit was introduced just post-war to encourage women to have children to build up the population again in 1945.

My mum got 7/6d a week for each of us children in the 50s, but in today's society the pay-out is enormous at £20 per week per child, and it is not means-tested. Ludicrous.

Even royalty and the aristocracy can claim it, although I'm sure they don't.

I do have a problem with folk claiming child benefit and it should no longer exist.

Why should someone who has paid tax all their lives, only for some of it to go the irresponsible, unworthy and downright scroungers on society? I'm not saying that everyone falls into this category. Of course they don't, as some parents work and put into that pot but, for those that do work, shouldn't actually need to draw from the State.

That money should be put back into the pockets of folk who have not only worked all their lives and put into the pot, but for those old darlings who fought for this worthless country in WWII, only to draw a pittance for their efforts in old age.

So sorry, but this is something I do feel very strongly about. If you have kids - pay for them yourselves - or don't have them.
Its late and i am just off to bed so this it a quick reply ...but where did you come up with the £20 a week child benefit ?

that is not the case i have two children who i get child benefit for as they are both still in school and i DO NOT get the amount you are stating
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

23-03-2012, 09:02 AM

Trust the Government to grab back what they can from pensioners, many of whom exist only at poverty level already!

Mollie darlin' - you and millions more voted for this miserable bunch, now all of us are paying the price.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top