Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Re: All in this together ?

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Sadly, people seem far more interested in some new Simon Cowell con trick than wanting to do something about getting things done.
Hammer, that is the reason why I mentioned the media in my post above.

The vast majority of people are led by the media, especially the gutter press, into thinking only about themselves and the gossip and scandal surrounding people who just happen to work in front of the cameras, what is the difference between someone who works in front of the TV camera and those that work behind Nothing really. But clever and deep physchological manipulation of peoples wants and desires makes for good viewing figures, which equals good advertising revenue, which makes for profitable media companies. Force the media to show programmes about what the Army really does, what it is really aiming to achieve, and what the soldiers really are like, and viewing figures fall off a cliff and compaints about boring programmes start flooding in. The prolertariat are sheep
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 01:26 PM

A lot of truth in what you say Harvey, but we have to take notice of the media otherwise where is our information going to come from.
We certainly have the press to thank for the MP's expenses scandal, and the corruption in the media itself, if the media have their facts right, we have nothing to fear.
The latest fiasco about the donations to the Tory party about parties in Downing Street, was down to the press, the same as the Labour parties cash for honours fiasco.
Corruption in football and cricket are two more occasions that the press have found out about, so I think we need good press.
There is no doubt that the people with money pull the strings with the press in our country.
One thing that bothered me this week, it was announced up here was that the private sector was taking over the criminal forensic science at Weatherby with the loss of 200 jobs.How can we guarantee that we are going to get honest to goodness forensic science when money is paying for that to be done, I can't see where you can make money from it without corners being cut.
No we are not in this together.
I know that the pensioners and the poor are getting the thin end of the wedge at the moment.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-04-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
A lot of truth in what you say Harvey, but we have to take notice of the media otherwise where is our information going to come from.
We certainly have the press to thank for the MP's expenses scandal, and the corruption in the media itself, if the media have their facts right, we have nothing to fear.
The latest fiasco about the donations to the Tory party about parties in Downing Street, was down to the press, the same as the Labour parties cash for honours fiasco.
Corruption in football and cricket are two more occasions that the press have found out about, so I think we need good press.
There is no doubt that the people with money pull the strings with the press in our country.
One thing that bothered me this week, it was announced up here was that the private sector was taking over the criminal forensic science at Weatherby with the loss of 200 jobs.How can we guarantee that we are going to get honest to goodness forensic science when money is paying for that to be done, I can't see where you can make money from it without corners being cut.
No we are not in this together.
I know that the pensioners and the poor are getting the thin end of the wedge at the moment.
Everything you say is probably valid and correct, but forgive me, I notice there was not one word about the situation of, or what must be done about our troops remaining in that hell hole. With respect that was exactly the point of the thread.
I also have no wish to demean your last sentence about the pensioners and poor getting the thin end of the wedge but young men and women of our nation are being maimed and killed for nothing.
That fact and the often abysmal lack of after care the injured are afforded by the state is to me a far worse crime than those you listed.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 05:56 PM

I did post on page 1 George, but the situation as I see it is controlled by the politicians nothing I say will make a difference.
However my father was a professional serviceman as our serviceman are today, so they know they are in it to fight for their country in whatever conflict there is, no one likes them there, but they know there is a big risk when signing on.
Bring them back as soon as possible.
But I must add that whilst they have been there, we have had less terrorism here and the USA, so they have not been there for nothing.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 06:40 PM

We should be fighting terrorism here by using stringent controls on who enters the country, and by using intelligence led operations against terrorism suspects, not by having a futile punch up in a foreign land against people mainly unconnected with the main protagonists. Has no-one in authority noticed Al Quieda are now training in Pakistan and Yemen and not Afghanistan?

Another school of thought would suggest that if we stopped killing moslems in their own lands, then maybe they would less want to kill us in ours...
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

01-04-2012, 07:40 PM

I agree about to not killing Muslims!!!
But we don't go to kill Muslims only the Islamic extremists.
We live amongst Muslims up here and they are very peaceful people.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2012, 04:37 PM

George my friend, its because you don't live near Brize Norton and therefore your television station doesn't give much coverage. Those of us living down south and have Brize Norton within our broadcasting area are treated to full coverage of the landing of the 'plane and the reverence of the families and friends at Carterton.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top