Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk
Terencefw.GC1 is male  Terencefw.GC1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Our legal system works but at a cost!

I have just done my jury service, something I have always wanted to do. I thought you might be interested to share my experience.
On monday 5 weeks previous, I and 50 other jurers were asked to go into one of the court rooms and informed by the judge that the particular case would go on for 4-5 weeks and those not available for that period of time should leave. that left 21 of us. 12 of us were picked at random and I was fortunate to be selected as I work nights it was a good nay great result the case was a drugs importation conspiracy case involving 5 defendants. each of which had 2 barristers each. now to cut a long story short one of guy's was "mr BIG" a man serving the last year of a 12 year sentance. who took the opportunity on day release to orchestrate 4 stupid people to do the dirty work on his next adventure. we found the last four not guilty and Mr Big guilty of a lesser charge. Now the case lasted 5 whole weeks. cost an absolute fortune and left me and the other jurers thinking had the police done their work properly they would have got their monies worth in securing a conviction on the others. thank fully they did'nt because they would not have deserved it and were released. So our legal system is expensive - but the Jury system ensures we get it right albit at a cost!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Re: Our legal system works but at a cost!

never wanted to do that my husband has done it
he lost a lot of pay next time he says he will not go
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 04:19 PM

Ah ... I was called up for jury service many years back.

I have to admit ... I wriggled out of it.

Five weeks Terence!
Flippin heck, I bet there's crimminals who serve less time than that for their sins!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 04:56 PM

I went for jury service last year but fortunately I was not needed in the end which was a great relief to me when I realised which case it would probably have been.

One thing made clear to us all was that at no time before, during or after were we to discuss any of the cases in which we took part with anyone outside the court.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 08:00 PM

I went for Jury service a few years ago now. A bit boring with all the sitting around waiting to see if you got called. There were baskets of wool & knitting needles in the waiting room so that those who wanted to could knit squares to make blankets I did get called for one case - somebody had run over a traffic wardens foot . He was found not guilty - I wonder how much it cost to bring the case to crown court
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk
Terencefw.GC1 is male  Terencefw.GC1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I went for jury service last year but fortunately I was not needed in the end which was a great relief to me when I realised which case it would probably have been.

One thing made clear to us all was that at no time before, during or after were we to discuss any of the cases in which we took part with anyone outside the court.
Times have changed. such is the nature of todays information highway nothing is so secret for long. providing the case is finished details of cases goes over to public domain. except that is details of how fellow jururs voted in deliberation, which must never be divulged to anyone at anytime nd for good reasons too! I found my jury service to be very interesting, however it did have its tedious moments.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Terencefw.GC1 ->
Times have changed. such is the nature of todays information highway nothing is so secret for long. providing the case is finished details of cases goes over to public domain. except that is details of how fellow jururs voted in deliberation, which must never be divulged to anyone at anytime nd for good reasons too! I found my jury service to be very interesting, however it did have its tedious moments.
Really, I am talking about last July
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk

08-04-2012, 08:35 PM

In retrospect my last post sounds almost pompous - sorry for that! but it was a good experience and made new friends, although I was spared the messing around most jurors have to put up with. after the case ended we ( the jury) all went to Witherspoons for a drink to celebrate. on heading back to the railway station I happen to pass the court house to be confronted by 3 of the defendants standing outside. we exchanged smiles as I think we we're all glad it was over, and went back to our normal lives.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 09:24 PM

I would love to do 'jury service' and was picked to do so some years ago. On the form the court sent me was a list of exclusions, one of which mentioned that if one was already involved with the 'administration of justice' one was excused jury service. I telephoned the court and enquired just what that meant, explaining that I provided advice and representation at Employment and Social Security Tribunals. I was told by the Court clerk that whilst I continued to provide representation at Tribunal hearings I would be excluded from Jury Service. Fourteen years later and I'm still providing advocacy at Tribunal hearings.
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk

08-04-2012, 10:34 PM

I'm sure you would have enjoyed it had you got the chance, Joe. I can't for the life of me understand peoples aversion to doing their bit! I would like to do it again, but perhaps on a shorter case.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top