Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Re: Home Insurance

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Council provides ours I think it's written on gold leaf paper the amount they charge us each year. £24.25 each two weeks.
Eh? Are you saying your insurance costs you £630 per year? I must have misunderstood surely?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 04:17 AM

I detest insurance companies, they are the biggest rogues out there I find.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Another thing that annoys me is that when we took out our contents insurance 48 years ago, it was with an insurance company called Commercial Union. We chose the very best of the options - Golden Key - which was excellent and covered us for every mishap and included everything one would wish on a home contents policy.

But, within only a couple of years, Commercial Union was taken over by a company called Sun Alliance, and upon renewal, they seemed keen to include a leaflet informing us of previously covered things under the "golden key" policy, would not be included.

Since then, there have been several takeovers by various insurance companies and we are at present with Aviva.

Over the years I have gotten tired of being notified first that our insurance company has been taken over by yet another insurance company, and when it comes to renewal time, there is always that flippin note to inform us that something else that we originally had in the golden key policy, now no longer includes (we may as well have taken out a cheap as chips contents policy to begin with because it has ended up with us having to pay extra for the original things that we had already paid for in our original contents insurance.

We have only ever made one claim - that was when a coal fell out of the fire, jumped the fire grate and landed on our brand new fitted carpet in front of the fire. The insurance company sent someone to check out the carpet, We informed them what we had paid for the carpet from a local shop, At the time it cost £600 - but instead of replacing it through them, they informed us they used their own supplier and the carpet was replaced at a cost to the insurance company of £1100 !!

Is it any wonder we all pay extra premiums?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 08:47 AM

Hi

It is that time of year.

House and Car Insurance both due next month.

Car renewal has increased by £80, yet to get the House Renewal.

Boring spending tie on the phone and internet to get the best value.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is that time of year.

House and Car Insurance both due next month.

Car renewal has increased by £80, yet to get the House Renewal.

Boring spending tie on the phone and internet to get the best value.
It might pay you to try an Insurance Broker, they do all the checking around for the best deal, mine uses 25 different insurance companies for comparison. They also have access to insurance companies that can only be used by brokers. You also have both car and house insurance to bargain with which is a good way to reduce premiums on both.

I've used a broker for around 14 years now and over recent years my premiums have, on occasions, even gone down.

In the unfortunate event of a claim they also do all the work. A recent claim for damage to my cruise control sensor when a pheasant hit my car was all done without me even filling in a form! They dealt with the repairing garage, the assessors and finally arranged for me to pay just the Excess with the garage receiving remaining payment direct from the Insurers.

The one I use has branches all over the country, there's one in Shropshire:

https://www.aplan.co.uk/shrewsbury
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Anyone renewing their insurance and finds it's gone up, yet again, should not forget to take into account Insurance Premium Tax. That was introduced and has gone up regularly from 4% when introduced in 1994 to what it is now 12%, a 'stealth tax' by any other name but one that costs us all in higher premiums. There are now two rates, the higher one is 20% and applies to travel insurance and other types of insurance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insura...United_Kingdom)
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
It might pay you to try an Insurance Broker, they do all the checking around for the best deal, mine uses 25 different insurance companies for comparison. They also have access to insurance companies that can only be used by brokers. You also have both car and house insurance to bargain with which is a good way to reduce premiums on both.

I've used a broker for around 14 years now and over recent years my premiums have, on occasions, even gone down.

In the unfortunate event of a claim they also do all the work. A recent claim for damage to my cruise control sensor when a pheasant hit my car was all done without me even filling in a form! They dealt with the repairing garage, the assessors and finally arranged for me to pay just the Excess with the garage receiving remaining payment direct from the Insurers.

Hi

Thanks for that.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

I use aplan for my holiday rental property!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:47 PM

The very best tip I can give with any insurance is to query the quote. If they won't drop just say you will look elsewhere then, never failed for us.

Remember you owe them nothing by remaining loyal to them. Be well informed first of other company quotes on comparison sites.

We have actually found the company we are with quoting a lower premium than the renewal quote we received. So gave them the comparison site reference number and they came back even lower, just to keep us as customers

I always think of it a bit like fishing.

First of all they caste out to see if they get a bite
Second they get you hooked with a first time offer
Third when reeled in then they up the price on renewals
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The very best tip I can give with any insurance is to query the quote. If they won't drop just say you will look elsewhere then, never failed for us.

Remember you owe them nothing by remaining loyal to them. Be well informed first of other company quotes on comparison sites.

We have actually found the company we are with quoting a lower premium than the renewal quote we received. So gave them the comparison site reference number and they came back even lower, just to keep us as customers

I always think of it a bit like fishing.

First of all they caste out to see if they get a bite
Second they get you hooked with a first time offer
Third when reeled in then they up the price on renewals

Your tip didn't work for me, Bazza.
I have just left the NFU after many years as they increased my car insurance by £40 this year, and refused to come down even though I quoted them 4 other well-known places that were almost half what they were asking.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top