Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 03:09 PM

Unwanted Dating Sites

How to get rid of attached dating sites on right-and corner of screen on Google
Showing girls in various states of undress who ask for dates Sometimes I have to delete 20.

Interesting for a man but they are unsolicited and seemed to have appeared after I uploaded Microsoft updates.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 03:55 PM

Re: Unwanted Dating Sites

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Showing girls in various states of undress who ask for dates Sometimes I have to delete 20.

Interesting for a man but they are unsolicited and seemed to have appeared after I uploaded Microsoft updates.
Perhaps getting yourself Adblocker would help, I don't get any of that or any other advertising. I use just the free version and have done for years now. Some websites object to the use of that software for obvious reasons of affecting their advertising revenue, but you always have the option of either turning it off or using other websites.

Link below to their website with all versions of the software depending on what browser you use:

https://adblockplus.org
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->

I know what you mean Azure, I get them too.

I just ignore them.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know what you mean Azure, I get them too.

I just ignore them.
Why suffer seeing them when you don't have to and it will not cost you a penny? Just download the ad blocking software, which takes minutes, then you too could be free of things you don't wish to see. If any revenue is being obtained in any way by displaying these adverts you stop that too!

AdBlock is used on my MacBook Pro, iMac and on my iPhone, it's 100% effective so for me it's really good to have installed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Why suffer seeing them when you don't have to and it will not cost you a penny? Just download the ad blocking software, which takes minutes and you too could be free of things you don't wish to see. If any revenue is being obtained in any way by displaying these adverts you stop that too!

Baz, I am worse than useless with technology, but I seem to remember hearing once, that the downside to having Adblocker, is it can prevent you from viewing some video's - I think that's what it prevented anyway. It blocked something it shouldn't anyway.

What are your views please?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Adblocker

Azure ... if you're using google chrome, I can tell you how to install it.
Baz46

24-07-2019, 04:12 PM

Baz, I am worse than useless with technology, but I seem to remember hearing once, that the downside to having Adblocker, is it can prevent you from viewing some video's - I think that's what it prevented anyway. It blocked something it shouldn't anyway.

What are your views please?
If there's something you wish to view, like the video you write about, then all you do is disable it to view that and then enable it again afterwards. Other than that it's there working all the time but does give you choice. It does mostly block everything that's considered unwanted advertising, also though it's easy to change for viewing anything you wish to view. Often a website will ask you to 'whitelist' their site, again that's up to you. If it's one you use regularly that means you will always be able to view that, with unwanted advertising though, any time you wish to. Other websites though and their advertising will remain controlled by AdBlocker until you disable it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
If there's something you wish to view, like the video you write about, then all you do is disable it to view that and then enable it again afterwards. Other than that it's there working all the time but does give you choice. It's also easy to download and change for viewing anything you wish to that requires that.

Thanks Baz, I will have a read of that this evening.
Does it explain how to disable it too, or have I got to figure that out myself?
Baz46

24-07-2019, 04:23 PM

I expect all the instructions are there, from what I recall some websites also direct you to AdBlocker to disable it should you choose to do that for their website. I seldom disable mine to be honest, that's mainly as whatever I am searching for or wishing to access can be found elsewhere without unwanted advertising.
Baz46

24-07-2019, 04:29 PM

Yes, just checked and if you look on their website on the link I gave, about halfway down on the right hand side, there's a heading with a tick above it and in capitals "NOT ALL ADS ARE BAD", that has information on how to disable AdBlock on all browsers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top