Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 06:25 PM

Re: Virual Private Networks - Installation and Use

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Was that with Crackle .....
Yup - Crackle movie streaming. No way am I giving out my CC details no matter how good their intentions are.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I didn't get asked for any of that.
What was your VPN location? Mine was set to New York but I can't see that being an issue.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Yup - Crackle movie streaming. No way am I giving out my CC details no matter how good their intentions are.
OK ..... Thanks for trying .....
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
What was your VPN location? Mine was set to New York but I can't see that being an issue.

I don't know, just somewhere in the US. I did have to turn off my ad blocker though.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:12 PM

I was unable to pause video streaming, presumably because I wasn't "signed-in" .....

So, the question is ..... will "signing-in" with a UK email address inhibit the US-supplied service .....
Excellent ..... now play a Crackle movie and see if you can pause/restart it .....
Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Yes I can.
Well, that's a start ..... but I was unable to display any video controls on-screen (perhaps I should have said that ..... )

So last night, I tried again - another favourite - "Lake Placid" .....

This time, video quality was excellent and, while watching, I was idly pressing my mouse when the video controls appeared at the base of the screen .....

IIRC, I left-clicked under the video but above the taskbar - minimal (but useful) controls were displayed .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

31-08-2019, 12:02 PM

I tried "Popcorn Time" last night - a slightly different movie service:

https://popcorntime.sh/

Popcorn Time is a multi-platform, free software BitTorrent client that includes an integrated media player. The applications provide a free alternative to subscription-based video streaming services such as Netflix. Popcorn Time uses sequential downloading to stream video listed by several torrent websites, and third party trackers can also be added manually.
Downloading "Sully" took about 5 minutes - video quality was excellent and the controls were readily available .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-09-2019, 04:13 PM

I tried "Popcorn Time" last night but hit a snag - because it's based on a P2P service there were no seeds for the film I wanted, which, admittedly, was not a latest release.

The previous night I watched "Lost In Translation" via Crackle with no such problems.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

21-03-2020, 11:07 AM

NordVPN persistently refuses to work on the latest versions - it closes down immediately on "Loading".

Reloading the original version means that it works but, obviously, without all the latest security patches and modifications .....

I have been in touch with NordVPN and performed various diagnostic exercises to assist in their investigation but to no avail .....

I am now thinking of trying another service, ExpressVPN, which has very good reviews. Has anyone used this provider ..... ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 11:43 AM

I have found Private Internet Access consistently reliable over several years. They have outlets in all the countries with good data protection laws never had any problems with them at all.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

They also offer a suitable proxy for programs like UTorrent so the whole computer doesn't have to be connected to the VPN service.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top