Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 07:24 PM

my tabletop rig

for anyone interested

from the top

1 = dead cat by Guttmann = chosen as it has the longest wind deflector hair for a small microphone

2 =Sennheiser microphone MKE400 model

3= height extenders= used to keep deadcat hairs away from camera lens when wide open

4= Panasonic HC-X900m, this is mainly for videos but does stills as well. I use internal 32gig intrnl memory for stills and SD card for videos setup

5= Moman pano head

6= Moman tripod

7=Sony lightweight headphones and a remote control unit (not shown)

also have extn lead for microphone away from camcorder.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Re: my tabletop rig

That lot should keep you out of Mischief.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
That lot should keep you out of Mischief.
Just a very small part of my photographic equipment. Apart from the stand I have had the rest for many years.
That camcorder came in handy in Egypt where I could keep it in a pocket with my hand over it. Biggest load of pick pocket thieves you can ever come across.

On the River Nile using this camcorder. watch the zoom in second video as it pans right, it will amaze you.

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Excellent, I had a great Canon camera and several zoom lens that I bought over a period of time. I have arthritis in my hands and it became too heavy for me to be comfortable with it and holding it steady to take a photo was hard. I gave it all to my granddaughter a few months ago, she is very interested in photography. I now use a Panasonic Lumix with the auto zoom x60, it's not bad at all also a lot lighter to use.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

27-10-2019, 08:54 PM

Roxy

yes some of my gear is heavy so use a monopod. My Nikon afs 80-400mm lens is over 3lb by itself without a camera attached, one for tripod use only. The straps that come with all makes of DSLR cameras are useless, they cut into the neck with heavy gear. So I now use a Peak Design one with quick release buttons. great bit of kit, allows me to swap cameras in seconds

one trick you could have tried to hold a camera steady is using one of these pistol grips that screw into the camera base
cost around £5 or cheaper

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

27-10-2019, 09:26 PM

That would have been a big help but I didn't think of that. Never mind it's Lily's gain and I'm getting some good shots of the Surfers out on the waves with the lumix.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

08-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Just bought a bubble for the hotshoe, so much easier and quicker than using the Morman ball head one
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Just bought a bubble for the hotshoe, so much easier and quicker than using the Morman ball head one

That's no way to talk about the latter day saints.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Hi

I am a useless photographer.

I have a Sony Cybershot Camera, a few years old now.

I need an idiot proof, waterproof, camera, fully automatic, with video.

I hope you and the other experts can help.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-11-2019, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am a useless photographer.

I have a Sony Cybershot Camera, a few years old now.

I need an idiot proof, waterproof, camera, fully automatic, with video.

I hope you and the other experts can help.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok will try with a quick walkthrough

First of all work to a budget, that would included a memory card but do allow for one a bit higher in the range.

So what type of camera

decide on the type of camera -compact (point and shoot type) mirrorless or DSLR (digital single lens reflex)

where to look for prices

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Ok going a bit deeper into deciding

Now knowing type and price what about make. The two main camps are , with the widest choices ,Canon and Nikon, but to be fair there is not much difference in any of them performance wise.

Some say get this make or that, wrong it is the person that is going to use the camera decides what they are happy with

So now we are getting somewhere Price- type-make, so what next?

i would suggest going to a decent camera store , not one in most retail outlets found everywhere but a dedicate one where the staff know their products.

Ok when in such a shop get your hands on one to see if it is comfortable, you may be surprise in the handling difference.

At the same time see how easy it is to understand the menu in the rear panel, that may make you change your mind.

Most camera have a demo mode so you shop be able to try out the shop model.

I suspect you would be looking at a compact point and shoot type. I don't think you will find one that is waterproof though. I believe all will take videos nowadays, quality may vary a lot so watch out for that

A bazza tip
take a clear plastic bag and use as a protective cover if you must use it in the wet

My wife had one that limited the memory card size, good camera as such but only allowed a few photos before changing cards, so i persuaded her to upgrade.

Ok so now where did we get to? Price- type-make-card size - shop tryouts -weather proofing.

Depending on camera value one should give a thought about insuring it. Either on household policy or a dedicated camera insurer.

One thing I did learn by my own mistakes was not to just get one that is just good enough to meet your needs. I though get the most simple camera out there and just take photos. OH boy how wrong was I just.

My first digital camera was a Kodax CX4200 to see what all this digital lark was all about. it was only a 2 mp camera and impossible to take anything at a distance.So restricted in what it to take and used 2 AA batteries.

Next was a Nikon D70s (DSLR) camera, it was ok until I out grew it and so moved up to a D200-D300-D800to my D810 i now use-

OOH I digress sorry

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote " I am a useless photographer." unquote. Rubbish it may be down to not being pointed in the right direction on how to get the best out of a camera.

First of all have one main interest, be it landscape- wildlife- still life- portrature- street scenes- architecture or whatever
Yes others as important but still best to have a main one.

get to know your camera and what it can do.
Ok new camera and no clue? fine no problems, use it on fully automatic to start with.

Work on compositions and your errors like poles behind people that look a if they are coming out of their heads. or unwanted stuff like rubbish bins in view. look for different place to shoot the same subject from, a few yards to the left or right can make or ruin a shot. for landscapes have a tree or building or something on the right of the photo to stop the eye wandering on aimlessly.

When you are happy with compositions then try the camera in a different mode such as shutter priority. One big mistake is trying to learn it all at once, take one step at a time.

Finally actually LOOK at a subject not just see it. An example I give is a flower

apart from colour (only seeing it),

How tall is it- how does the light shine on it- what shape are the petals- do the leaves frame it- what is around it - is it the main part of the photo- what angle are you taking the photo at- would additional lighting help (this is looking at it as a photographer)
there is so much more to photography with hints and tips ,too many to put on here at the moment.

many go to classes to learn, I am very much against this for one reason. Look at all your great painters in the past, their paintings are worth millions, that developed their own style, have you ever seen those that copy? maybe but worth nothing in comparison.

Yes classes can teach technique but think of all the others before being taught the same, like sausages on a production line.

Go it alone and learn by your errors is the best way in my opinion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

choosing a memory card is just as important as the camera, another subject entirely

couple of my flower shots taken different ways as example

The flower itself is most prominent in this photo ,head on shot 3d effect hopefully

What I call mood type flower shot, gently lit from the right hand side

leaf framed flower shot

close up flower head

area around a flower

Swim why not go out and see how many different way you can photograph the same flower. Will teach you to look not see

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top