Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Re: The flooding is a disgrace

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good post Pathfinder, and I also think the government seem to have got their priorities wrong, and with our money..!
However, there were a lot of helicopters flying around yesterday and I understand that Boris came to visit...I wonder if he would have bothered had there not been an election looming.....And we're not London are we....
Should have had somebody there when the chopper landed with a placard stating if you don't have your check book piss off. Standing in a shop door with a mop in his hand what a balloon
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Hey. That,s a good idea Donkeyman
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Better still, give the MPs a shovel and tell them to dig the dyke.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Its not the flooding thats the disgrace, its the country!!
Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Better still, give the MPs a shovel and tell them to dig the dyke.
Ive seen these geysers in london BB, They need a ride on lawnmower
to cut 2 square metres of lawn??
Donkeyman!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 03:19 PM

Flooding is the norm here along the Severn Valley and there are some amazing flood protection schemes giving protection to the small towns like this one at Upton...

Huge gates are close on one road into the town but of course the water has to go somewhere ...to farms and villages downstream.

I don't blame 'the government' but years of mismanagement from a variety of people, the farmers, planning authorities, DEFRA , river authorities to name a few.

The flood planes have been built on in many areas, hard surfaces instead of pasture land so no soak away for rain. More housing is planned, another 800 around here on fields near the river.
The farmers and councils used to do 'hedging and ditching ' in the winter, many no longer do.

The farmer who has the pasture next to my house lopped of the hedges and let the trimmings fall into the stream, he does this every year so the stream is blocked and the meadows now floods. I reported a dead sheep to the farmer, that too was blocking the stream until it got eaten by vermin and birds.

My Daughter in laws grandad sailed a dredger up and down the Severn removing the silt, the dregers went decades ago.
An 'expert' on the radio says dredging doesn't work. Common sense tells me it does because on rivers like the Severn a deeper channel means the water can escape faster.

In Darley Dale where a woman drowned on Saturday the fields I walked on as a child are all gone, houses as far as the eye can see and more being built all the time. No wonder there are floods.

So don't blame one government but decades of mismanagement an a lack of understanding of the countryside on behalf of many

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_update_9f3096e72af7bd70_1342190145_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	11060  
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good post Pathfinder, and I also think the government seem to have got their priorities wrong, and with our money..!
However, there were a lot of helicopters flying around yesterday and I understand that Boris came to visit...I wonder if he would have bothered had there not been an election looming.....And we're not London are we....

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I seem to remember when flooding happened in the south the then pm, ( Cameron I think ) was down there like a shot, as it was a key Tory area, a case of the effluent meeting the affluent
The old north/south divide attitude is alive and well here. I don't know where people get the idea that the population in the south is more affluent and better looked after. I live in Surrey where the cost of living is far more expensive than in Northern areas. There might be more employment and people might get higher wages but my god do we need them, what with the price of housing and many other things.

Biennially, for many years, we stayed for a week at a time with our friends who live near Doncaster. They live just as well as we do. Every other year, they come for a week to stay with us. I remember we had a day trip to Windsor and my mate had to take a photo of the price of fish and chips because the folks back home would never have believed it.

Our daughter lived in Barnsley for years and so we have stayed in that area quite a bit as well. All in all, I do get to see the difference in the cost of living in Northern and Southern areas. If you want to keep the north/south divide going just keep saying we're affluent. It won't be true but you can keep thinking it is I suppose. What's more, you can't even buy a decent pork pie around here.

Government presence might be thought slow when emergencies arise but local services are there pretty quickly when needed and I'm not sure what good any minister can do by just being there. I can't remember how quick David Cameron was on the scene the last time the Thames flooded (2014), you might be right about it being quicker. However, it didn't do much good did it?

Homes were flooded in the South just the same as with the current floods around the Don. Everyone, whatever the region, can suffer from flooding. It's a nationwide problem that needs a lot of thought and action. Keeping our drainage and waterways dredged would be a very good start. The disruption, heartache and entire situation that the floods brought to people in the south was just the same as it is in the north. I believe there is no north/south divide when it comes to flood difficulties and what is done about them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26111598
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

14-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Flooding is the norm here along the Severn Valley and there are some amazing flood protection schemes giving protection to the small towns like this one at Upton...

Huge gates are close on one road into the town but of course the water has to go somewhere ...to farms and villages downstream.

I don't blame 'the government' but years of mismanagement from a variety of people, the farmers, planning authorities, DEFRA , river authorities to name a few.

The flood planes have been built on in many areas, hard surfaces instead of pasture land so no soak away for rain. More housing is planned, another 800 around here on fields near the river.
The farmers and councils used to do 'hedging and ditching ' in the winter, many no longer do.

The farmer who has the pasture next to my house lopped of the hedges and let the trimmings fall into the stream, he does this every year so the stream is blocked and the meadows now floods. I reported a dead sheep to the farmer, that too was blocking the stream until it got eaten by vermin and birds.

My Daughter in laws grandad sailed a dredger up and down the Severn removing the silt, the dregers went decades ago.
An 'expert' on the radio says dredging doesn't work. Common sense tells me it does because on rivers like the Severn a deeper channel means the water can escape faster.

In Darley Dale where a woman drowned on Saturday the fields I walked on as a child are all gone, houses as far as the eye can see and more being built all the time. No wonder there are floods.

So don't blame one government but decades of mismanagement an a lack of understanding on behalf of many

The government tells us we need more young people Meg, surely
more people cant be the answer to our growing problems?
More young = more old later
More immigrants = more population now=??????
As you say its not just one government at fault but a multiplicity of
contrary governments plus human nature itself causing our downfall

Regards Donkeyman!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 05:07 PM

They can get people on the moon but don’t seem to have resolved halting flooding.

Is flooding classed as an ‘Act Of God’ and nothing will ever stop it? Or, isn’t enough being done to curtail it?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

14-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The old north/south divide attitude is alive and well here. I don't know where people get the idea that the population in the south is more affluent and better looked after. I live in Surrey where the cost of living is far more expensive than in Northern areas. There might be more employment and people might get higher wages but my god do we need them, what with the price of housing and many other things.

Biennially, for many years, we stayed for a week at a time with our friends who live near Doncaster. They live just as well as we do. Every other year, they come for a week to stay with us. I remember we had a day trip to Windsor and my mate had to take a photo of the price of fish and chips because the folks back home would never have believed it.

Our daughter lived in Barnsley for years and so we have stayed in that area quite a bit as well. All in all, I do get to see the difference in the cost of living in Northern and Southern areas. If you want to keep the north/south divide going just keep saying we're affluent. It won't be true but you can keep thinking it is I suppose. What's more, you can't even buy a decent pork pie around here.

Government presence might be thought slow when emergencies arise but local services are there pretty quickly when needed and I'm not sure what good any minister can do by just being there. I can't remember how quick David Cameron was on the scene the last time the Thames flooded (2014), you might be right about it being quicker. However, it didn't do much good did it?

Homes were flooded in the South just the same as with the current floods around the Don. Everyone, whatever the region, can suffer from flooding. It's a nationwide problem that needs a lot of thought and action. Keeping our drainage and waterways dredged would be a very good start. The disruption, heartache and entire situation that the floods brought to people in the south was just the same as it is in the north. I believe there is no north/south divide when it comes to flood difficulties and what is done about them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26111598

You are spot on Mart about the cost of living innLondon, especially
housing costs! So why dont you consider moving house to the area
of your choice away from London?
You would get a good price for your house down there and have a
good bit in the bank after buying a house further out?
seems a no brainer to me!
Regards Donkeyman!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top