Join for free
Page 11 of 17 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 11:49 AM

Re: What Things Have You Learned On This Forum?

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Agreed, but you play the cards you are dealt..move on to the next hand or leave the table.
I'm not ready to 'Stack Em' yet Vlad.....Not until the fat lady sings..........Have you met Mrs Fox....
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 12:01 PM

Way to go mate, there does seem to be a lot of the population wallowing in self - pity these days...and of course it is someone else’s fault..Covid..the guvvermunt...the experts....We have become a nation of whiners
Fixing the blame instead of the problem seems to be the National Sport. Treat life like dogs do: if you can't eat it, drink it or shag it then piss on it and walk away...

And no I have never had that pleasure.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 12:22 PM

Way to go mate, there does seem to be a lot of the population wallowing in self - pity these days...and of course it is someone else’s fault..Covid..the guvvermunt...the experts....We have become a nation of whiners
Fixing the blame instead of the problem seems to be the National Sport. Treat life like dogs do: if you can't eat it, drink it or shag it then piss on it and walk away...

And no I have never had that pleasure.
That's always been my philosophy Vlad, although I still participate in eating and drinking....Oh! and walking....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You mean we called the fat kid 'Fat' and the spotty kid 'Spotty'...Despite that, there were hardly any suicides. Now we find excuses and give them posh medical names, but the suicide rate is astronomical...
Exactly!

From a teacher's point of view, there now seem to be more and more badly-behaved kids who have been given fancy psychological excuses for their behaviour, accompanied by an increasing number of additional staff for one-to-one help and monitoring of them.

Many, if not most of these 'troubled' children are dealt with this way simply because no-one dare admit that they are badly behaved because they were never brought up properly by weak and ineffective parents.

Think of the additional expense.
Think of the disruption to the education of the majority.

Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 02:28 PM

That's always been my philosophy Vlad, although I still participate in eating and drinking....Oh! and walking....
Good man
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 03:04 PM

We are too clever for our own good now TessA, and it makes the world a very complex place with everyone complaining and being unhappy with their lot, and the internet provides the perfect soapbox to voice your opinion. Being driven on by the media in most cases, and having too much time on our hands because nobody has to work too hard to earn a living. In some cases you don't need to work at all to be well off. Idle hands are mischievous hands.....

"were much more discriminatory and judgemental. Heaven help anyone who was "different"

You mean we called the fat kid 'Fat' and the spotty kid 'Spotty'...Despite that, there were hardly any suicides. Now we find excuses and give them posh medical names, but the suicide rate is astronomical...

I can't speak for anywhere else TessA, but there were no blacks or muslims round here in those days, and interlopers were looked on with suspicion until they made a name for themselves. Once you were accepted though, be it black, white or Muslim, you joined a caring, sharing, community, and were part of the family. Nowadays, people don't even know who lives three doors down the street.

I think you have rose tinted memories of the fifties OGF .
I never knew a caring sharing community.
And people were deadly unhappy being called spotty fatty or whatever .
It was cruel and people did commit suicide .
There was a boy in my school that everyone called smelly - he had hardly any friends and was always poorly dressed and generally unclean .
Poor kid now I recognise what was clearly an abused child .
And he wasn’t the only one.
There was a boy in my class who had started school in the very bottom of the school . He was in fact very clever but his home life was a disaster due to an abusive father .
By the time he reached the fourth form her had grown much bigger and he and his brother after years of abuse beat up their father and threw him out .
Overnight he appeared clean and confident .

I do in fact know who lives three doors down in my street - and very nice people they are too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 03:16 PM

You must have been popular at dinner parties Vlad.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 03:18 PM

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-10-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
you must have been popular at dinner parties vlad.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think you have rose tinted memories of the fifties OGF .
I never knew a caring sharing community.
And people were deadly unhappy being called spotty fatty or whatever .
It was cruel and people did commit suicide .
There was a boy in my school that everyone called smelly - he had hardly any friends and was always poorly dressed and generally unclean .
Poor kid now I recognise what was clearly an abused child .
And he wasn’t the only one.
There was a boy in my class who had started school in the very bottom of the school . He was in fact very clever but his home life was a disaster due to an abusive father .
By the time he reached the fourth form her had grown much bigger and he and his brother after years of abuse beat up their father and threw him out .
Overnight he appeared clean and confident .

I do in fact know who lives three doors down in my street - and very nice people they are too.
I've always been an optimist and see the good in people Muddy....
But let's be honest, nobody likes a 'Smelly Kid'.....
We had one in our class, and he turned out alright...

Page 11 of 17 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top