Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 08:25 AM

Why are eco products so expensive ?

I like to be eco friendly but eco products always seem to cost more ie washing up liquid or washing powder .
Stuff with no additives cost more .
Organic stuff is pricier .
Why is this ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 09:02 AM

Re: Why are eco products so expensive ?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I like to be eco friendly but eco products always seem to cost more ie washing up liquid or washing powder .
Why is this ?
Because they are so labour intensive. I mean just look at recycled toilet paper, who wants the job of collecting and cleaning that for recycling? Not me that is for sure. No wonder it costs more than ordinary toilet paper
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 09:04 AM

Same with any produce marked organic...dirty potatoes cost more
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why is this ?

I know what you mean, Muddy.
I use as much eco stuff as I can, but it is often a fair bit dearer and I don't really know why.
Same again with beauty products.

It is the same with anything with 'organic' written on it, isn't it.
And what about the supermarket eggs that are supposed to be from certain breeds too, like Waitrose sell eggs from birds that lay a very dark brown egg (I've forgotten the breed), and they are much dearer than 'ordinary' eggs.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 10:10 AM

I think that you mean blacktail eggs I do t buy them they are too expensive .
But I do buy waitrose free range eggs .

Here is a comparison .
The three pale and watery eggs are Tescos ( also supposedly free range ) the nice firm orange one is from Waitrose .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	16623178-A983-49C7-A61E-2C72D605F659.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	13976  
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Same with any produce marked organic...dirty potatoes cost more
Ooh that is so true - and a pet hate too.
Because they wash the darned things nowadays and then they don't store very well.

You're right about it being so expensive and we can only hope that consumers lead the push into more using stuff and so making it cheaper, because another factory is volume.
Not enough people buy "green" products.

I try, for example because doing so is better for my sceptic tank - but it isn't easy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 11:14 AM

If we all insisted on local produce and only bought seasonal stuff instead of mangoes from where ever mangoes come from, it would be better for us, better for the local growers and farmers, Better for employment, better for the economy, less need for preservatives, and it will help to get all those bloody great lorries off our roads, bringing in more than just food products!
And it might just bring the price down...
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 04:02 PM

From what I remember seeing on an old edition of Country File, organic produce is more expensive because yields are generally 25-30% lower than with "normal" farming methods.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 04:22 PM

I think it's because there are always wishy-washy greenies prepared to pay extra for the 'eco' variety of anything. If the items did not sell, then the price would either fall or the items would become discontinued. Supply & demand rules the retail market and always will do :yes:
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-10-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
From what I remember seeing on an old edition of Country File, organic produce is more expensive because yields are generally 25-30% lower than with "normal" farming methods.
I believe that have just gone and dug up the last of my potatoes .
They look lovely but many have been eaten inside just not worth the bother of growing them .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top