Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 06:26 PM

Re: Bare root plants.

Hi Carol what variety are your strawberries , you may well get some fruit the first year depending on when they are planted, I did with all mine .
I had Cambridge Favourite, a mid season planted in the ground , it didn't do well here.
The ones I have now are in pots 'Mara de bois ' they are 'perpetual' and fruit from late May until the first heavy frost.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 07:18 PM

I'm afraid I don't know Meg.
I got them from e-bay. If I look back through my orders I may find out what type they are.

I will go search!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 10:12 AM

Hi Carol strawberries like well drained soil and they don't like wet feet , I would put a thick layer of gravel in that tray so the plants can drain .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 10:18 AM

I will do that. Thank you Meg.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

09-02-2021, 11:14 AM

Hi Meg these are the ones I ordered.

Strawberry 'Cambridge Favourite' Hardy Mid Season Bare Root
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-02-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Hi Meg these are the ones I ordered.

Strawberry 'Cambridge Favourite' Hardy Mid Season Bare Root
Hi Carol they are a good well known variety and you should get a crop this year.
As I said I grew that variety but mine didn't do well, I grew them in the garden and I think they were in the wrong place too much shade .
I now have my strawberries in tubs in the sun and they do very well. The tubs are on gravel allowing free draining (or you can buy feet for the tubs). I feed the plants occasionally with seaweed and with Tomorite once the flowers start to form .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top