Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 09:17 PM

Re: what store

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Whaa!?..Woolworths is still very much alive here. Big stores everywhere. Lots of green colour. I buy stuff there frequently. Excuse my ignorance but why is it not in the UK??
Bankrupt and all stores gone here too by 1997.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Haywood's in Huddersfield - it was the first store to have an escalator. Very fascinating for a young lad (because I was a young lad then. ). It covered three floors. Furniture on the top floor (we got a suite on tick from there), groceries on the ground floor, and clothing on the lower floor. The place burned to the ground in the mid-sixties and such was the blaze, it could be seen for miles around. Fire engines came from Huddersfield, Halifax, and Bradford to tackle the blaze which took two days to get under control.
All of their financial records were destroyed in the blaze, and as far as I know, mum was the only one who turned up to honour her debt after an appeal went out for debtors to come forward.
I don't remember Haywoods, I think I'll google the story, I bet it was a big story at the time. We got a suite on tick from Co-op in Heckmondwike lol
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 09:36 PM

Whaa!?..Woolworths is still very much alive here. Big stores everywhere. Lots of green colour. I buy stuff there frequently. Excuse my ignorance but why is it not in the UK??
Different company.They are talking about F W Woolworth,founded in the USA.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 10:14 PM

Gosh Queenie, I was only thinking recently about C & A and BHS and how I wish they were still around

You know those times when you HAVE to get something for a special occasion and you can't find anything?
Well, 9 times out of 10, I could almost guarantee that I would be able to find a suitable alternative in C & A, but more especially in BHS.

Years ago, there was a local shop that was like a little treasure for me. It had those containers that money was put in and is whizzed around the store overhead going to wherever it was going. I loved routing around in that shop. And it nearly always had a different supply of little china paraffin lamps I used to collect in those days. I was mortified when it closed.

(Shurrup Pesta or you'll be rabbiting on for hours)
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Different company.They are talking about F W Woolworth,founded in the USA.

Aaah!..Got it. THanks PS. I did not know that.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Gosh Queenie, I was only thinking recently about C & A and BHS and how I wish they were still around

You know those times when you HAVE to get something for a special occasion and you can't find anything?
Well, 9 times out of 10, I could almost guarantee that I would be able to find a suitable alternative in C & A, but more especially in BHS.

Years ago, there was a local shop that was like a little treasure for me. It had those containers that money was put in and is whizzed around the store overhead going to wherever it was going. I loved routing around in that shop. And it nearly always had a different supply of little china paraffin lamps I used to collect in those days. I was mortified when it closed.

(Shurrup Pesta or you'll be rabbiting on for hours)
I like your rabbiting, rabbit on Pesta
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I like your rabbiting, rabbit on Pesta

Hang on, I'm washing me ears and cleaning up after chewing on me lettuce
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 04:59 AM

Well for a start FW Woolworths was an American company but they forgot to trademark or register the name in Australia so an Aussie did. I think we are talking 1920 (ish)

Woolworths is still an Australian company and nothing to do with the one that went broke.

There you go...
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 08:36 AM

There used to be a Lewis's store in Leeds it had an upmarket food dept on the lower ground floor. I remember going as a child with my sister and thinking how exotic all those foods looked and all those different cheeses ...I expect I wouldn't be so impressed these days as everything is available in Supermarkets.

I will miss Laura Ashley although I understand they are opening in Next so all might not be lost.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top