Join for free
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 07:14 AM

Brexit "Divorce Bill"

I see that from a recent survey that over 70% of those sampled will not accept a payment of over £30 Billion.

In order to try to move on, could we not offer to pay UP to £30 Billion dependant upon the type of trade deal offered. With it being made perfectly clear that NO deal means NO Payment whatsoever.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 08:45 AM

Re: Brexit "Divorce Bill"

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
I see that from a recent survey that over 70% of those sampled will not accept a payment of over £30 Billion.

In order to try to move on, could we not offer to pay UP to £30 Billion dependant upon the type of trade deal offered. With it being made perfectly clear that NO deal means NO Payment whatsoever.
Hi

We can do whatever we want, so can the EU.

No deal means WTO Rules.

WTO Rules do not cover services and 75% of our Exports to the EU are services.

In order to maintain these our Companies would have to move HQ to the EU and pay Tax there.

WTO Rules mean that the EU would have to pay the UK around £7 Billion a year an WTO Tariffs

We would lose £20 Billion a year in tax from Financial Services alone.

We are already have to pay £18 Billion a year extra in interest payments alone.

We need a deal far more than the EU does.

Free Trade deals which we sign in the future outside the EU do not routinely include services, just goods.

It is an interesting conundrum for our negotiators.

Do we stand on principle and lose far more more money or do we pay up?

If we do stand on principle it will mean a further period of Austerity twice as bad as we have now or massive Tax Increases.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Negotiation means give and take and compromise on both sides. We seem to have compromised on many things but the EU on none. We should give no more ground until we receive some back, and regarding the "divorce" bill we should offer not one brass farthing without there being a proven legal basis for doing so.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Negotiation means give and take and compromise on both sides. We seem to have compromised on many things but the EU on none. We should give no more ground until we receive some back, and regarding the "divorce" bill we should offer not one brass farthing without there being a proven legal basis for doing so.
Hi

In that case we go out without a deal.

The EU are convinced that we are on the back foot and are in no mood at the moment to compromise.

Trade will continue even with no deal, just that we would far worse off than the EU.

We are asking for a transition deal, not the EU.

They know we need one, we would not be asking otherwise.

If I was an EU Negotiator I would do exactly the same and not an inch.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 10:39 AM

I agree with Barry and well said my friend.

That EU cabal need us far more than we need them, and if we START to play hardball they will soon start licking our boots. The thing is, up to now the government have shown no bottle at all dealing with the EU Eurocrats.
We should just tell them to go Bake Off!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

In that case we go out without a deal.

The EU are convinced that we are on the back foot and are in no mood at the moment to compromise.

Trade will continue even with no deal, just that we would far worse off than the EU.

We are asking for a transition deal, not the EU.

They know we need one, we would not be asking otherwise.

If I was an EU Negotiator I would do exactly the same and not an inch.
And that is the problem Swim.
The government have allowed us to be on the back foot, which means that up to now the EU are pooing all over us.
So to speak!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

30-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by InfamyInfamy ->
And that is the problem Swim.
The government have allowed us to be on the back foot, which means that up to now the EU are pooing all over us.
So to speak!
Hi

Theresa may started all this, no deal is better than a bad deal.

Her mantra.

Unfortunately she had nothing in place to carry this out.

I appreciate she was in a terrible position as Cameron had nothing in place and left her to start from scratch.

Unfortunately she didn't start preparing immediately and then wasted time on an Election, which she failed to win big enough to give her the majority she wanted.

It would have been possible to sort things out but we have left it to long to do so.

We are now having to go begging for a transition deal.

I am seriously not happy about this.

The EU can just sit and wait now and let the pressure build up on us.

I have given up worrying, what will be will be.

There is nothing that I can do about it.

I do worry about the firms that will be affected.

There are 180,000 firms in the UK which export to the EU and who will for the first time, have to produce the paperwork and origin schedules to export.

The Government have so far put nothing in place to help them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Surely there can only be give and take if you have something the other side want?

Judging by what I read in the news and from what is said on here the EU has the whip hand, even more so because they have experienced negotiators whereas Britain's negotiators seem to be out of their depth and devoid of ideas.

(I should say I don't follow it particularly closely because it doesn't affect me and I live a long way away but that is the impression I get.)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top