Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 01:15 PM

Re: The Looney Labour Magic Money Trees

It's funny to me in a sad way, that people vote for low taxes and austerity then moan when a labour council try to implement it, want private companies rather than council employees then moan when a private company tries to make money.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
then moan when a private company tries to make money.
No-one is trying to make money. They simply appear to me to be trying to avoid having to pay out the money required to fulfil the contract. Frankly they shouldn't have taken on that contract if they weren't prepared to pay for the maintenance costs associated with it.

The council should NOT be allowing them to do this, but I suspect that there is a shared responsibility and areas of overlap.

For example where a tree is perfectly healthy but has roots lifting up the pavement, it might be the case that Amey is responsible for pruning/maintaining the tree but the council are responsible for repairing the pavement and kerbs etc.

So a joint effort to avoid paying maintenance costs. Just rip out the tree, cost problems solved !

Like I said, a bit like shooting pensioners to rid yourself of the cost of paying out pension money.

All in all a shocking state of affairs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 01:25 PM

If they cut the root to repair pavement and tree falls and kills someone you'd moan about that too. Either let the do the job or accept you voted for low taxes.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If they cut the root to repair pavement and tree falls and kills someone you'd moan about that too. Either let the do the job or accept you voted for low taxes.
lol wat ?!

They are required (as clearly stated in the ITP document I linked) to perform all repairs to an industry standard. So there is no question of doing maintenance of any kind and leaving a tree in a dangerous position. You're just inventing stuff to try and make an argumentative position.

Bottom line is that there is a huge £2 billion highway contract here to maintain all sorts of infrastructure of which the trees are a part. Seems that due diligence was severely lacking to me.

Also seems like the Looney Labour Council are happy to sacrifice healthy trees in order to save themselves having to fork out money for regular maintenance. It's not like this is anything new. The trees have been here for countless years. The maintenance requirement has been there for countless years. So either the Looney Labour Council is utterly inept at budgeting or they are simply total cads looking for ways to not have to pay out for the maintenance which is expected of them.

Either way as per the wider Looney Party . . .

Unfit to govern.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Felling any tree is emotive.

Glancing through the news reports it would seem that by trying to save money the Council have run into problems with different 'Experts'.

The term no "arboricultural reason" to remove trees,means the trees are healthy or savable, it doesn't take any damage to roads, pavements, underground services or buildings into account.

The repair of such damage presumably would be down to the tightened belt of the council,and can only worsen, increasing the costs annually.

Poor Sheffield Council are having to make tough decisions with central government financial constraints so as to maintain important services in the area.

Meanwhile NHS, Police, and other critical services are crying out for cash injections after years of Tory austerity, people are dieing because of that.

I see the problem as being the media and Realist being a tad biased....................but it could be me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-09-2017, 06:42 PM

That's how it seems to me bruv. Tbh the constant tit for tatting on the forum is tedious as very few people actually have any real facts or are so biased you have to take things with a pinch of salt. I do have problems with realists conspiracy theories which instantly make me think is this right what he's saying or another arm of that obsession.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Hi

The fact remains that we are spending more than we get in taxes.

Taxes have to rise significantly to pay our way.

It is either that or more Austerity.

As a direct result of Brexit we are losing £20 Billion in tax from the Banks and our Interest Payments have gone up by £18 Billion a year.

I am quite happy for my Tax to increase by 20% to stop further Austerity.

There is no way I want my Tax to rise because of Corbyn's plans to nationalise things.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-09-2017, 07:08 PM

I'd like to see austerity in areas other than that which affect the poor or disabled. We waste billions a year many billions I'd wager.

If you actually look at some places hospitals and schools and GP surgeries you can find thousands in savings in about ten minutes. If you look at our politicians I'm betting we could make savings there too.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The fact remains that we are spending more than we get in taxes.

Taxes have to rise significantly to pay our way.

It is either that or more Austerity.

As a direct result of Brexit we are losing £20 Billion in tax from the Banks and our Interest Payments have gone up by £18 Billion a year.

I am quite happy for my Tax to increase by 20% to stop further Austerity.

There is no way I want my Tax to rise because of Corbyn's plans to nationalise things.
Then the proletariat would like to know why Corporation, Inheritance and Capital Gains Taxes have all been cut ?

It is a concern why those at the bottom of the heap are taking more of the strain than those more able higher up the food chain.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Then the proletariat would like to know why Corporation, Inheritance and Capital Gains Taxes have all been cut ?

It is a concern why those at the bottom of the heap are taking more of the strain than those more able higher up the food chain.
Good point !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top