Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Re: Diddums! Poor Varadkar!

I worked a summer in New Jersey in 1972 and there were pubs in New York that passed the bucket round for the IRA in the early 70's, there probably still are!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I worked a summer in New Jersey in 1972 and there were pubs in New York that passed the bucket round for the IRA in the early 70's, there probably still are!
NORAID was another scandal based on a stack of lies. That the British were oppressing the population of what I always think of as Ulster.

But the REAL scandal was that Kennedy "Mr Wonderful" and his government were more than well aware that NORAID was funding terrorism against the UK and did NOTHING to stop it in spite of having the power to end it with the stroke of a pen.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Kennedy "Mr Wonderful" .
Good joke!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I think that the events of 9/11 brought home the realities of terrorist attacks and possibly curtailed further funding to the IRA. It was okay to have a belief that the Emerald Isle was as depicted in the Quiet Man film and support the IRA in the fight against British oppression, turning a blind eye to the atrocities carried out there by both sides of the political/religious divide because they were carried out in another country. But when a murderous act was carried out on home soil, it bought awareness to the of acts of terrorism to the American public.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 06:05 PM

Couldn't agree more with you Judd. It wasn't really until their own white supremacists, the Taliban and ISIS planted bombs and crashed planes into their own back yard that reality hit home that they too were contributing willingly to a Terrorist organisation such as the IRA, which Britain had classed as Terrorists for doing the same in N.I and here on the mainland, and contributions quickly dried up.

Sadly, it took such massacres of their own to happen for them to finally take off their "John Wayne Running Man" rose-tinted glasses.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top