Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 01:31 AM

Contact Tracing in the UK

Just as a matter of interest - when you visit a restaurant, pub/club or indeed a gym or meeting do you have to leave your contact details? For example my seniors club has to do so, we just take name and phone number.

In NSW venues must collect details of patrons but it varies from state to state and there is no common system, some places just ask for your name and phone number on a clipboard other venues use a QR code arrangement.

I wondered if the UK with its more centralised health service had a system that applied nation wide?

This video is about Tassie where it is not compulsory (they haven't has a covid case for several months) but it illustrates the problem of no national system of recording patrons for later contact tracing.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 11:31 AM

Re: Contact Tracing in the UK

Hello Bruce.....
When we visit an eating establishment we can either leave a name and number where we can be contacted, or scan the code with a smartphone.
Being a poor Yorkshire lad, I haven't got a mobile phone that's capable of accessing the internet. I bought a cheap one one from Tesco, but the screen was too small for me to see, and I kept pressing the wrong thing on the touch screen causing me heaps of trouble. So I gave it up as a bad job.

Nowadays I prefer to peruse the internet on my laptop when I get home, with a steaming mug of Yorkshire tea on the side....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Hello Bruce.....
When we visit an eating establishment we can either leave a name and number where we can be contacted, or scan the code with a smartphone.
Being a poor Yorkshire lad, I haven't got a mobile phone that's capable of accessing the internet. I bought a cheap one one from Tesco, but the screen was too small for me to see, and I kept pressing the wrong thing on the touch screen causing me heaps of trouble. So I gave it up as a bad job.

Nowadays I prefer to peruse the internet on my laptop when I get home, with a steaming mug of Yorkshire tea on the side....
I haven't had much experience of it either, in licensed clubs it is easy because your membership card has to we swiped as you enter, non members scan their driving licence. I presume you have similar arrangements.

It is restaurants etc that I wondered about there is no standard system here I would have thought the Covid safe app would have been a good place to start but as it was based about privacy they don't seem keen to use it for that purpose.

I thought the UK might have introduced a more centralised system - the problem here is that the states are literally a law unto themselves.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-11-2020, 01:01 PM

I downloaded the Service NSW App for my phone so now I have a digital Driving Licence and I used it today for the rego for my camper.

Part of the reason I got it was as a way to log in to restaurants for contract tracing. This is not private enterprise so the data is protected by law and through your driving licence the governments knows all about you anyway. The NSW Government is talking of making QR Codes compulsory for attending restaurants, gyms etc

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201102_223527_au.gov.nsw.service.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	14059  
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I downloaded the Service NSW App for my phone so now I have a digital Driving Licence and I used it today for the rego for my camper.

Part of the reason I got it was as a way to log in to restaurants for contract tracing. This is not private enterprise so the data is protected by law and through your driving licence the governments knows all about you anyway. The NSW Government is talking of making QR Codes compulsory for attending restaurants, gyms etc

Thats what we have here, just scan the QR code in the restaurant or pub and it's done.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2020, 02:24 PM

When I go to the gym I always go one hour before closing time as there is barely anyone in. I scan the QR code on NHS test and trace app with my phone. Same with coffee shops and eateries
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

03-11-2020, 12:30 AM

The problem with the Service NSW app is that it is just for NSW whereas the Covidsafe app is nationwide but it has no QR code facility
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 09:43 AM

People are the main problem with contact tracing.
The public.
You can't make people download an app, not in a democracy.
And you can't make them comply with regulations - even when the threat of a substantial fine for non-compliance is very real.

Here in the UK only eleven percent of those in contact with someone testing positive for Covid-19 actually isolated as required by current requirements.
Eleven percent!

As far as I'm concerned people can warble on about the supposed benefits of tracking down infections using a track & trace system as much as they want, but until people's attitudes change about this virus and they actually take heed of both the requirements AND take sensible precautions, track & trace systems will remain pretty pointless.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
The public.
And you can't make them comply with regulations - even when the threat of a substantial fine for non-compliance is very real.

Here in the UK only eleven percent of those in contact with someone testing positive for Covid-19 actually isolated as required by current requirements.
Eleven percent!

As far as I'm concerned people can warble on about the supposed benefits of tracking down infections using a track & trace system as much as they want, but until people's attitudes change about this virus and they actually take heed of both the requirements AND take sensible precautions, track & trace systems will remain pretty pointless.
Well said, Zaph!

Added to that we now live in an environment where people do not pick up calls from unknown numbers because of the scam risk.

If we want a track & trace system that works, properly, we have to get past the scam problem.

Maybe the "powers that don't be" will get stuck into that.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/06...eal-or-a-scam/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
The public.

Eleven percent!

Yep.........I second that......Good post Zaphod...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top