Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:31 PM

Re: US Election : Judge ‘Shocked’ at Postal Service

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They have a long history of postal voting in the US. Nobody has ever made such a fuss before. You're all swept up by the hype.

You go to a polling station in the UK and they don't even bother checking who you are. You don't even need a card these days. When they did an audit of postal voting in the US they found immaterial impropriety. I'm not sure of the difference if they go to the polling station. Do they have to prove their ID?

Nobody voted with postal votes on this scale before. There's now 10 attorney generals calling for investigations into voter fraud. That's never happened before either ...

If you vote in person its a lot harder to do - your not dead for a start.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Nobody voted with postal votes on this scale before. There's now 10 attorney generals calling for investigations into voter fraud. That's never happened before either ...

If you vote in person its a lot harder to do - your not dead for a start.
they had primaries in June/july and half the votes were postal.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:39 PM

You used to have to do that but not in the last few years. The postal votes are pretty basic. From what I have read in the US you have to put it in one envelope then another then sign the envelopes and some states ask for ID copies etc.
I agree. Postal votes lend themselves to illegal activity.

But we were talking about in-person voting.
Tell me the procedure and checks carried out in your local polling station.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

JBR it is exactly as written in the link below (page 14). They follow the process to the letter even telling me I can keep my polling card. In the old days they used to keep the card (I think). But there is no ID check. There are always two people and they do ask questions a bit like when you get to border control in a foreign country, friendly but official and watchful of your reactions.

https://www.electoralcommission.org....lish%20web.pdf
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

As Annie says, there doesn't appear to be any real check. When I voted in the GE, they asked for my name and address. No ID was asked for.

As for postal votes, there are probably simple ways of checking the validity, but alas these might involve providing personal info which would be the bane of human rights activists. Eg - a fingerprint could be easily verifiable in terms of uniqueness and ownership of a voting slip, but would open up a whole can of worms in terms of gathering and storing this info in the first place, as well of data protection afterwards.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 11:55 PM

Left, Right, same old story.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-11-2020, 12:04 AM

Different states in the US have varying access to postal services. For some it's just too expensive to have a really good service. I recall being shocked by this when we did a big road trip with American friends in the noughties. I was shocked at hearing that only local papers were sold in parts of the Midwest. I had always thought the US the most advanced country but was told it just wasn't profitable to distribute national papers to some more remote areas. That's capitalism I guess.

So individual states decide on whether they want to accept votes based on postmark if they don't have great postal coverage. They have the right to do that. From what I have read the % of fraud in US elections is too small to make a difference to the outcomes. (based on audits they have carried out). I don't think they will find any fraud of significance (ie. immaterial to influence the result). But they will find different processes in place in different states and maybe even different counties. That's already known. it is nothing new.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-11-2020, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Left, Right, same old story.
I am familiar with the album cover. I guess back in the day it would not have seemed at all disturbing.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 12:33 AM

JBR it is exactly as written in the link below (page 14). They follow the process to the letter even telling me I can keep my polling card. In the old days they used to keep the card (I think). But there is no ID check. There are always two people and they do ask questions a bit like when you get to border control in a foreign country, friendly but official and watchful of your reactions.

https://www.electoralcommission.org....lish%20web.pdf
Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
As Annie says, there doesn't appear to be any real check. When I voted in the GE, they asked for my name and address. No ID was asked for.

As for postal votes, there are probably simple ways of checking the validity, but alas these might involve providing personal info which would be the bane of human rights activists. Eg - a fingerprint could be easily verifiable in terms of uniqueness and ownership of a voting slip, but would open up a whole can of worms in terms of gathering and storing this info in the first place, as well of data protection afterwards.
That is quite a complicated document!

However, I can see the possibility of someone claiming to be someone they are not, and even providing their address.

On the other hand, what should happen then if the genuine voter turns up? I imagine that questions would be asked and investigations carried out. If the first voter was found to be impersonating the actual voter, his ballot paper would have to be destroyed. Whether they could catch him/her is another matter.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Dream on, Annie, since when has a USA election had so many mail-in votes, knowing that mail-in voting is the easiest way to rig an election ?

The walk in votes have higher verification checks than the mail-in ballots. Why do you think the left promote mail-in voting so much ?

The answer is quite simple. A very high percentage of minority voters, vote IF they can do so by mail. Additionally, as difficult as it is to believe, many , many African American OLDER voters, simply do not have valid ID. Yeah they may have a birth certificate but NOT a drivers license. In the U.S, many counties will NOT accept birth certificates as valid ID. A PHOTO ID and proof of address is usually required.

Example: In 2000, George W. Bush won the election in Florida by only a few thousand votes. It was later revealed that well over 50,000 African- Americans, in Florida, failed to vote. African-Americans generally, overwhelmingly vote democrat. Had they voted. it is very, very unlikely that Bush would have become president.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top