Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:04 PM

Keepsakes When Someone Dies...

In December, the daughter of my friend who died about two years ago rang me to meet up and go for a walk as she wanted to give me something of her mother’s.

We met up and she gave me two bags, both containing boots. I did say, l thought her mother took a smaller size than me but she pushed them at me.

On arriving home, l took the boots out of the bags, one was a pair of very old Dubarry boots and the other another pair of very old Gortex suede boots both size 4 and l take size 5-6.

So what do l do with them? Put them on the mantelpiece, or in some other prominent position?
Or cut a hole in the toes to make them fit?

One of the bags they were in is a plastic shopping bag and reminds me of my friend, so l will use that for carrying recycling stuff down to the bins!

Has a similar thing ever happened to you regarding a keepsake?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:13 PM

Re: Keepsakes When Someone Dies...

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
In December, the daughter of my friend who died about two years ago rang me to meet up and go for a walk as she wanted to give me something of her mother’s.

We met up and she gave me two bags, both containing boots. I did say, l thought her mother took a smaller size than me but she pushed them at me.

On arriving home, l took the boots out of the bags, one was a pair of very old Dubarry boots and the other another pair of very old Gortex suede boots both size 4 and l take size 5-6.

So what do l do with them? Put them on the mantelpiece, or in some other prominent position?
Or cut a hole in the toes to make them fit?

One of the bags they were in is a plastic shopping bag and reminds me of my friend, so l will use that for carrying recycling stuff down to the bins!

Has a similar thing ever happened to you regarding a keepsake?
I have a bullet. No further information though.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:16 PM

In honesty,Art, nothing like that has ever happened to me.

The lady that I clean and care for, who has dementia, keeps asking me if I would like something from her house,to remind me of her......whether she has a sense that she may die soon, I don’t know.....or it could be related to her dementia.....
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:29 PM

Art, the context of your relationship with your friend will put weight on the significance of the boots. Did you and your friend do much walking or talk about shopping or go shopping together when she may have purchased those boots?

It could also be a sort of 'comfort' thing for the daughter, knowing that a friend of her mothers has a keepsake therefore keeping the memory of her mother, your friend, alive. Sometimes little things like that can help comfort people when they have lost a loved one.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:30 PM

No I've not had that happen either..
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:32 PM

I got left a painting. It was primitive and done in house paint.
My problem is how to safe guard that gift after Im gone.
Many years ago
In a gallery in Bond street or close by, cant recall now. The sloaney brought out a very aged painting probably 16th century. I was just a walk in, she was being silly. It too was primitive. Price tag was £500k in case your wondering. How it survived the bin man I have no idea. I can imagine the gallery picking it up for a couple of quid just because it was yonks old.

I guess the pictures fate is upto who ever finds it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Art, the context of your relationship with your friend will put weight on the significance of the boots. Did you and your friend do much walking or talk about shopping or go shopping together when she may have purchased those boots?

It could also be a sort of 'comfort' thing for the daughter, knowing that a friend of her mothers has a keepsake therefore keeping the memory of her mother, your friend, alive. Sometimes little things like that can help comfort people when they have lost a loved one.
Dodge, I used to have Flat-coated retrievers, so did she. l met her at a gun dog trial as l used to go to a lot of those and other shows to do with the breed.
We never talked about shopping as l hate shopping. She liked shopping though and she liked good, expensive brands. The Dubarry boots are expensive to buy new.
She lived quite a long way away from me so l didn’t see her that often. We chatted a lot on the phone though.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2021, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I have a bullet. No further information though.

Gold or silver? If it’s gold, l will be impressed!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:47 PM

Hi

Not goinf to happen with my two.

Tey don't do keepsakes.

The painting of Saddleworth has already gone to one of the Doctors who treated me and who is from there.

My NFA Silver Medal is going to a 10 year old fishing fanatic.

My exrcutors have instructions as to where to sell my stuff, my kids would just use a hoiuse clearance company.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
In honesty,Art, nothing like that has ever happened to me.

The lady that I clean and care for, who has dementia, keeps asking me if I would like something from her house,to remind me of her......whether she has a sense that she may die soon, I don’t know.....or it could be related to her dementia.....
Pauline, That’s a difficult situation if her mind insn’t complete. If her mind got worse, she could turn and say, you had stolen it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top