Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 09:26 PM

Re: BBC survey

I did reply to this thread, but for some reason it did'nt make it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
I too received this e-mail. I am aware of the fact that it has been reported that a large majority of the young are not tuning into the BBC and that could well be the reason for the survey. However I also wondered but if my receiving it had anything to do with the fact that I have recently cancelled by direct debit and do not intend renewing my licence?
No, I received it too and we still pay the licence fee. I think I reveived it because I signed up for a BBC account (probably iplayer)

I have completed it and sent it.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Apparently, I was already registered to their web site, so I decided to participate.

I was perfectly polite, but equally honest and I'm sure they would be disheartened to read my opinions, assuming that they do read them.

I get the impression that someone in charge might now be desperate to make improvements to the BBC including both its dire programmes and its obvious political bias. Nevertheless, in the final question I assured them that I would not be returning to becoming a viewer.
Online surveys such as the BBC's are written and worded in such a way so that when the majority of replies are negative they can be discarded as being 'negatively biased'. It's how authors of surveys are able to get away with biasing the survey in their favour.

The author of surveys always expect a certain percentage of positive replies and a certain percentage of negative replies BUT the number of negative replies will never ever be higher than the positive replies because the author behind the survey will never accept that their company/business is not bad. So, as this survey relates to the BBC, the BBC will never accept that they are bad and thus even if the survey shows that the public perceive them as being bad, the BBC will just look at all the negative replies and start tagging many as 'negatively biased', basically meaning that the person filling out the survey already has a predetermined mindset that the BBC is bad and therefore will respond with negative answers to all the questions. Even though this is perfectly acceptable in the public's eyes, such a mindset is not acceptable to the BBC and so they will discard such negative replies.

Online surveys are always carried out by third party companies and I guarantee you, if there whistle-blower from these survey companies came forward with the full list of results, every single survey would always be in the negative.

The reason I know this is because many many years ago when I was doing an open university degree, one of the people in the group (we all met up in a group every month even though we was all doing different degrees) was doing a businesses, public relations and marketing degree and we got talking about surveys and this person told me about some of the things that goes on that people who fill out surveys are not told about.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 10:43 PM

I also received the survey and said it would take five minutes of my time..... I decided that what I wanted to say would take a lot longer than five minutes.... I don't do surveys, because (A) Life is too short and it keeps me from doing the things that I like doing. And (B) I have a very short attention span.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Online surveys such as the BBC's are written and worded in such a way so that when the majority of replies are negative they can be discarded as being 'negatively biased'. It's how authors of surveys are able to get away with biasing the survey in their favour.....
No problem. If they want to ignore our comments that's their choice, but I suspect that someone somewhere will be aware of the general public's feelings about the BBC.

If they try to publicise false results of the survey, firstly, no-one is going to believe them and, secondly, word will inevitably leak out anyway.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:04 PM

I understand the incoming chairman of the BBC Richard Sharp has concerns about the BBC being 'unbalanced' in some instances and Brexit/too many Remain supporters on Question Time has been mentioned as one example .

Among the questions in the survey the news was mentioned.
I am glad of the opportunity to express my concerns that Question Time did not have a balance among participants leading up to Brexit and I that don't like the interviewing techniques of some journalists (the Today programme has a number) suggesting a point to an interviewee , getting them to discuss it then in later news items making it appear that the item was raised by the interviewee when it was not.This to me is a form of manipulation.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Online surveys such as the BBC's are written and worded in such a way so that when the majority of replies are negative they can be discarded as being 'negatively biased'. It's how authors of surveys are able to get away with biasing the survey in their favour.

The author of surveys always expect a certain percentage of positive replies and a certain percentage of negative replies BUT the number of negative replies will never ever be higher than the positive replies because the author behind the survey will never accept that their company/business is not bad. So, as this survey relates to the BBC, the BBC will never accept that they are bad and thus even if the survey shows that the public perceive them as being bad, the BBC will just look at all the negative replies and start tagging many as 'negatively biased', basically meaning that the person filling out the survey already has a predetermined mindset that the BBC is bad and therefore will respond with negative answers to all the questions. Even though this is perfectly acceptable in the public's eyes, such a mindset is not acceptable to the BBC and so they will discard such negative replies.

Online surveys are always carried out by third party companies and I guarantee you, if there whistle-blower from these survey companies came forward with the full list of results, every single survey would always be in the negative.

The reason I know this is because many many years ago when I was doing an open university degree, one of the people in the group (we all met up in a group every month even though we was all doing different degrees) was doing a businesses, public relations and marketing degree and we got talking about surveys and this person told me about some of the things that goes on that people who fill out surveys are not told about.
Yep. Although the data collected might be comprehensive, the data used for analysis and reporting outcomes rarely is.

Reminds me of when I ran "Records of Achievement" in a school back in the 90's, I asked the staff for their views about what they wanted in the new reporting system. Naturally, I ignored all of their feedback and designed the whole thing by myself.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:28 AM

I did get an emai from the BBC but l didn’t even open it. I just deleted it as l don’t trust anything anymore.
Sad isn’t it?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I did get an emai from the BBC but l didn’t even open it. I just deleted it as l don’t trust anything anymore.
Sad isn’t it?
Yep. I seem to be getting a plethora of Bitcoin emails of late.

I got the BBC one and filled it in, suggesting they had little output of interest and that, for me, they are not good value for money.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Sad isn’t it?
Understandable.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top