Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2017, 07:38 PM

Re: Photobucket

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
on another site I'm on, I just copy image address and up comes the picture but not on this site........strange innit?
You can post up any picture from anywhere on the internet if you know it's URL.

To get the URL of any picture just right click it and select properties and there it is.

In your forum posts just use the Image Header and Footer codes either side of that URL which are {IMG} and {/IMG}
except the brackets should be SQUARE brackets not curly brackets.

For example:

{IMG} http://www.over50sforum.com/images/ovinterface/tree.png{/IMG}

but with square brackets

It results in the Over50 forum tree image thus:

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2017, 07:41 PM

No URLs on an iPad *sobs*
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2017, 08:00 PM

thank you Realist but what I get when I right click a photo is....
open link in new tab
open link in new window
open link in cognito
save link as
copy link address

there's nothing about properties
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

To get the URL of any picture just right click it and select properties and there it is.

In your forum posts just use the Image Header and Footer codes either side of that URL which are {IMG} and {/IMG}

For example:

{IMG} http://www.over50sforum.com/images/ovinterface/tree.png{/IMG}

but with square brackets

It results in the Over50 forum tree image thus:

Very useful information.

However, I had to add this pedantic comment(!):

[] = brackets
() = parentheses
{} = braces

(but nothing to do with the braces that hold your pants up.)
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very useful information.

However, I had to add this pedantic comment(!):

[] = brackets
() = parentheses
{} = braces

(but nothing to do with the braces that hold your pants up.)
The first one innit
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2017, 08:12 PM

I will go with tiny pictures for the time being
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2017, 08:19 PM

This is what happens when I right click an image on my Mac

Nothing saying 'properties'

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

That's true but unfortunately hot linking that way uses the bandwidth of the site where the image is located and site owners can get angry about this.

http://altlab.com/hotlinking.html

I think the problem is possibly not what to do from now on but more about those who have been using Photobucket for years and have already got lots of images embedded in forum posts. These will not show if Photobucket prevents 3rd party hosting. Nothing would change that apart from moving images from Photobucket to somewhere else and editing posts so that links point to the new locations.

I wouldn't mind paying some more for the service (already do pay a small amount) but the only plan Photobucket has that allows 3rd party hosting is $399.99 a year. That's just too much. To go from free to that price is beyond what most people will be prepared to pay in order to get their previously posted images to show. I won't be paying it, so if images die, they die.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2017, 08:39 PM

Yo........It works Realist......Brilliant!...
But I didn't realise it was sort of against the law....
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

02-07-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
That's true but unfortunately hot linking that way uses the bandwidth of the site where the image is located and site owners can get angry about this.

http://altlab.com/hotlinking.html

I think the problem is possibly not what to do from now on but more about those who have been using Photobucket for years and have already got lots of images embedded in forum posts. These will not show if Photobucket prevents 3rd party hosting. Nothing would change that apart from moving images from Photobucket to somewhere else and editing posts so that links point to the new locations.

I wouldn't mind paying some more for the service (already do pay a small amount) but the the only plan Photobucket has that allows 3rd party hosting is $399.99 a year. That's just too much. To go from free to that price is beyond what most people will be prepared to pay in order to get their previously posted images to show. I won't be paying it, so if images die, they die.
Yes it is a ridiculous amount of money.
I wouldn't be averse to paying a few quid, even though I don't use it much now that I'm not photo restoring for website people on a regular basis.

Makes you wonder if they're about to go under.
All those ADs of late were bad enough but now this

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top