Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Re: National Service

Originally Posted by doctor ->
wouldnt work,you have to be educated in todays army,
I agree.
Todays armed forces are professionals.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 08:08 PM

I think it's a good idea....basic training....a lot of young ones don't have anything to look forward to...i agree it would give them a sense of worth
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by lavander ->
I think it's a good idea....basic training....a lot of young ones don't have anything to look forward to...i agree it would give them a sense of worth
Don't think many young lads would look forward to National Service.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Don't think many young lads would look forward to National Service.
That's the idea. Think twice before mugging, stealing or doing drugs.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Can you see the countless numbers of drug pushers and thieves answering a call up?...I can't.
You'd need thousands of Military Police just to find 'em.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Can you see the countless numbers of drug pushers and thieves answering a call up?...I can't.
You'd need thousands of Military Police just to find 'em.
More of a case of being sentenced by a court as opposed to waiting for a letter.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 10:57 PM

Doubt it would work, they would cry on about their human rights. The nasty training officer was shouting at them and making them do as they were told. It's been hands off and the softly softly approach all their lives, they simply couldn't hack it in any of the Armed Forces.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 11:17 PM

Why would our armed forces, who have chosen the forces as their profession, want to work alongside and depend on people who have been forced there as a punishment and have no interest in working as a team.
GDAD
Sydney Australia
GDAD is male  GDAD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 11:24 PM

I did National service here in Australia. I wish they would bring it back in it may teach these young people(Not all) a bit of respect for people & country.
There may be a problem though, we would have the Moslem society refusing because of their religious beliefs. my belief is that you should only be exempt through medical reasons.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2013, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Good suggestion Graham - something needs to be done for the younger generation. Building of character and self worth, has got to be a good thing.

Yes, but not only criminals being sent, other youngsters too because so many of them leave school and have got no jobs to go to, so it would give them some training too.
On the down side, not sure how I would feel if it were MY son's time to go??

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top