Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 12:45 PM

Sir Andy Murray?????

The absolute public hysteria surrounding a professional sportsman, who has finally won a couple of matches and has been rewarded handsomely, continues unabated.

Apparently there are now calls for him to be knighted, even the Prime Minister is caught up in the frenzy, saying "I can't think of anyone that deserves it more". Excuse me but have I missed something? Deserves a knighthood for what, for just doing what he is paid to do?

I didn't think our system of honours could sink any lower, but it appears they are now just dished out like sweeties.

Pathetic...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Re: Sir Andy Murray?????

Well I think I would rather give him one than the actors/singers etc who feature each year but yes I agree it has been devalued to a point that they could just be sweeties.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 01:12 PM

At least the sportsmen/women, actors etc who get honours have usually achieved something. Most of the honours seem to be political awards given for lickspittle service to the status quo. Mind you, after 77 years without a Wimbledon male winner, he'll probably be made Lord Murray of Dunblane.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Well if it can be given for riding a bike, or wheeling a chair around a circuit, then his years of dedication etc surely deserves the same accolade.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Well if it can be given for riding a bike, or wheeling a chair around a circuit, then his years of dedication etc surely deserves the same accolade.
He is dedicated to himself, to a sport he loves and is good at.
Did you know he is paid tens of millions a year to do that, I just wonder how much Fred Perry got in 1936, not anywhere near as much as Murray, and he probably had a full time job to hold down as well.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 02:31 PM

No-one has mentioned the many charities Andy Murray is involved in simply because he is not the type to broadcast it to the world.

Only last month he donated his total prize money of £75,000 to The Royal Marsden Hospital. He is involved in many charities at home and abroad that we don't hear about.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 04:32 PM

I do get concerned about how many of these are handed out each year. OBE, CBE, Knighthoods.
Yes he did win Wimbledon and I for one thoroughly enjoyed the tension and the drama of it. But when it was mentioned at the end of the match about a knighthood both me and my husband said "WHAT". Oh and they also mentioned would there be anyone else in the running to win the sports personality of the year?
I am sure that he is the same as a lot of good people out there that donate their earnings and work for charities or use their name for good causes.
It was the same after the Olympics and everyone was shouting for the winners to get recognised with OBE, CBE etc Until they said there were too many who won medals and they had to list them in order of merit.
I am sure the ones that did not get recognised were miffed as they would feel they did just as well.
Not an easy one to decide about.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 05:17 PM

In two minds about this. I think the honours system is a complete farce, and, as others have said, pretty worthless. I most certainly do not think Murray's win justifies a "Sir", but if the powers that be feel they have to give him something for his achievement then let him be given one of the lowest honours - an OBE would be sufficient recognition if they must give him something.
Personally, I don't think he should be given any award for the reasons stated in the OP, but I can see that a huge swathe of the population thinks the fact that he is the first Briton in 77 years to win it deserves some recognition.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 05:22 PM

I think hes got the 'recognition' ......
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 05:31 PM

I was out in the garden. Did Andy Murray win?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top