Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 04:30 PM

Re: Moving house

Well I had to laugh today. I emailed the man who did the survey on my new house to remind him that he hadn't sent me a bill yet. He emailed back saying that if I could tell him what he had quoted me he will bill me… Oh, how tempting to suggest something lower than his quote but I am too honest.

Now at a rather frustrating phase as I have no more empty boxes. But I had a very satisfying trip to the dump today and am advertising a few surplus things on a local buy and sell site. The animal charity shops are getting a fair bit of benefit from my clearing too.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 03:34 PM

My car now virtually drives itself to the charity shops and I was pleased to find one that would take my old TV sets which most places decline. I'm now getting a bit impatient, with another nine days before I can get in and start transferring stuff.
I ordered a new garden shed recently for my new garden to be, and the guy who is doing the base for it has already rung to arrange a date, so that's encouraging.
I've got a buyer for the cooker from the flat, but still waiting for some interest in a few other things.
Bennie seems a bit uneasy about my packing up things, but hopefully I am reassuring him by the fact that I have not disappeared without him!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 09:50 PM

I can understand the animals getting fidgety. Some are like it when people are just packing to go on holiday, they always sense something don't they.
Poor Bennie, if only you could explain he is going with you.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

23-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can understand the animals getting fidgety. Some are like it when people are just packing to go on holiday, they always sense something don't they.
Poor Bennie, if only you could explain he is going with you.
Well I do explain, Mups, but I'm not sure he understands...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well I do explain, Mups, but I'm not sure he understands...
Ha ha - well at least everything is coming along nicely now, you will soon be settled before the winter takes hold
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

23-10-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Ha ha - well at least everything is coming along nicely now, you will soon be settled before the winter takes hold
Thanks, Patsy. At least I'll be in before the winter takes hold, but getting settled may take a whole lot longer...
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 07:44 PM

This is a great thread for me, as I'll be going through the same thing. Don't know when. Could be a few months, could be another year, as we are in the process right now of looking. We haven't found a house yet. We've looked at one so far, but we didn't like it.

However, with the anticipation of moving into another house in our future, I've already started packing up stuff (very slowly, I haven't gotten much done) to try and make this as easy as possible. I hate moving, but it's got to be done, as the house we're in now is a rental and we can't stay here forever. In the process of going through our things and packing some of it into boxes, I've purged quite a bit as well and that's a great feeling, to get rid of stuff that's been sitting around for years. I just recently unloaded several old computers, several monitors and an old, clunky microwave (all of which have been sitting in the garage for many years) to the local recycling place. They came and took everything away.

I'm excited about moving, yet, at the same time, I'm not looking forward to it, so I know how you feel. It can be very stressful and aggravating.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

24-10-2015, 11:11 AM

Good luck with your move, Linda.

The purging is greatly satisfying, isn't it? I've lost count of the runs I've done to charity shops, recycling centres and dumps! And there are more to come...
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Good luck with your move, Linda.

The purging is greatly satisfying, isn't it? I've lost count of the runs I've done to charity shops, recycling centres and dumps! And there are more to come...
It's definitely satisfying. I hate clutter and things just sitting around gathering dust and I read an article on moving tips not too long ago that says if something has been sitting around unused for at least 2 years, there's a good possibility you don't need it anymore and to just get rid of it. My problem is I always think yeah, as soon as I pitch this out, I'll need it for something.

orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

29-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Update. Stress levels rising to stratospheric levels. The vendors' solicitor is either incompetent, lazy or maybe alcoholic, as well as being very rude to my solicitor. Due to complete tomorrow, but still awaiting documents from him (despite my solicitor making repeated requests over the last month for same) so have missed the cut-off point apparently for transferred funds arriving in his account tomorrow.
Buying a house in the UK is a doddle compared to here, where the system is chaotic, to say the least. It is sheer luck that I don't have to move out of my house tomorrow, as would normally be the case. If I did, I'd be homeless and have to store my furniture over the weekend, and it seems I have little chance of any redress for this.
When I bought my present house, I was buying it from a solicitor who was untrustworthy and duplicitous. Buying the new house, my solicitor has had to deal with the vendors' solicitor who is rude, uncommunicative, and inefficient, as well as possibly being dishonest. If it weren't for the fact that my own solicitor is very conscientious and thorough (and a star!) I would be left wondering whether Irish solicitors are a breed unto themselves.
Thank goodness I should never have to do this again.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top