Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 04:29 PM

Your thoughts and Views

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on Elderly drivers.

Having personally heard or seen in the last few months terrible accidents where elderly drivers have been the cause, going the wrong way up a motorway/wrong way up one way streets or mowing people down in shopping complexes, through hitting the accelerator instead of the break, or whatever the reason.

I am talking about in their 80's 90's

Just interested to hear your views.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 04:41 PM

Re: Your thoughts and Views

IMO Everyone should sit a test both of eye sight and mental capacity every few years because even younger people can have defective eyesight and still be on the road or have the wrong attitude to driving to be allowed on the road.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Julie your quite right. My father in law nearly alway's takes his wing mirror off or catches something on reversing up the drive or out in public car parks. He could end up being a danger to himself and others at 85 yrs old..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 05:13 PM

Tricky one, I think most Old Folks know themselves, when it is time to quit, I suppose the few that don't heed their own state are no more dangerous than a young Boy/Girl racer.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 05:28 PM

There used to be a man here (now deceased) the father of the local doctor who drove until he was in his 80s.
Every day he would go into a small town for his daily newspaper driving at 10 mph until he reached the paper shop where he would stop the car in the middle of the road and get out with no attempt to park it Everyone had to drive around him
I used to swear if I got behind him .
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 05:29 PM

I would hate to be the one to decide the age..........but IF there was a requirement to retest every (say) ten years, I think people may take more care to drive carefully. If this was the case, why have an age? We appear to have a fair share of younger drivers who behave like racing drivers, also foreigners coming into the country.........so why not everyone? This may appease many of the younger generation who think anyone over 40 is "OLD" and anyone over 60 should have their licence taken away!!!!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I would hate to be the one to decide the age..........but IF there was a requirement to retest every (say) ten years, I think people may take more care to drive carefully. If this was the case, why have an age? We appear to have a fair share of younger drivers who behave like racing drivers, also foreigners coming into the country.........so why not everyone? This may appease many of the younger generation who think anyone over 40 is "OLD" and anyone over 60 should have their licence taken away!!!!
Very good point Lindyloo.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 05:43 PM

Passing your driving test only shows that you are competent to drive on that day. A bit like an MoT. Many experienced (and good) drivers who might never have had an accident, probably couldn't pass a test without lessons - and know what the current requirements are.

Meg, your post reminds me of my near neighbour who is also (at 92) the village's oldest resident. He only stopped driving a few years ago - mainly at 10mph in the middle of the road. Apparently he used to work at road building - driving a steam roller !!
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
IMO Everyone should sit a test both of eye sight and mental capacity every few years because even younger people can have defective eyesight and still be on the road or have the wrong attitude to driving to be allowed on the road.
I am in complete agreement. I do not think, as Spitfire said, that people know when they should give up - this is certainly not my own experience with older folk with the early stages of dementia. They simply are not aware that they are becoming a danger on the road, to themselves and other road users. To drive you need good reflexes and cognitive skills, and older drivers may not realise when theirs have begun to decline.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 06:33 PM

most older drivers are aware ' and yes they can cause danger on the rds 'it should be dealt individually..and most accidents are caused by young speed fanatics...who think every rd is theirs ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top