Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:17 PM

Car crime

Keep an eye out if you have a posh car.

I received a notice from Neighbourhood Watch/Police today, saying that in the last 7 days, 7 cars had been stolen locally by that 'Keyless Car Crime' caper.

They were all either BMW's or Mercedes.

A group of three men were seen on some cameras.

I can't pretend to know exactly how they do this, though I am sure some of the men here will know.

For those who want to know more about it, this will explain better:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47023003
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 06:47 AM

Re: Car crime

This crime has been rife in small villages around where I live, the neighbouring county to you Mups. Cars are stolen so easily, usually overnight and probably before even notified to the police as stolen are on their way to the docks, put in a container and on their way abroad. This is facilitated by living close to a main trunk route, making a quick getaway easier.

Not just those makes mentioned but also Jaguars, Land Rovers and Minis with the keyless feature are targeted. Not too sure about Range Rovers. It does seem that any cars made by that same group of companies have been those targeted.

Without going into too much detail it seems it could be down to being able to clone the actual keys, fit a tracker underneath the vehicle so being able to locate the address where the vehicle is kept and for a third party then to steal it. Be careful who has access to your keys and vehicle is one warning given out. It's also recommended to additionally use one of the 'old-fashioned' crook locks or steering wheel locks if you own one of these vehicles. So much for the new 'keyless' technology on some vehicles!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 07:11 AM

Hi

No self respecting thief would be seen dead in mine.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No self respecting thief would be seen dead in mine.
You don't even have to bother to lock it up then! Come on, own up what car do you drive?

Oh I see, having looked on your profile I know now but even so some of those in top of the range models are really nice cars. Two of my previous cars have been that make.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
You don't even have to bother to lock it up then! Come on, own up what car do you drive?

Oh I see, having looked on your profile I know now but even so some of those in top of the range models are really nice cars. Two of my previous cars have been that make.
Hi

It is top of the range with keyless entry.

It is also badly scratched and has a pungent aroma of damp fishing tackle and maggots.

I deliberately keep it that way.
Baz46

03-05-2019, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is top of the range with keyless entry.

It is also badly scratched and has a pungent aroma of damp fishing tackle and maggots.

I deliberately keep it that way.
Better than any keyless entry system obviously! At the very least a potential thief would require a strong stomach and the car would need a full valet and a very strong car deodoriser!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 11:42 AM

Not car theft, but theft from cars has been discussed a number of times recently on our local community website.

Apparently, thieves can hang around when you're locking your car with remote key fob, and have a device to pick up the signal.

They can later point the device at your house to operate your fob to unlock your car. It's been suggested you keep your fob in a tin away from the front of the house. I've got mine in a baccy tin in my desk draw.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Not car theft, but theft from cars has been discussed a number of times recently on our local community website.

Apparently, thieves can hang around when you're locking your car with remote key fob, and have a device to pick up the signal.

They can later point the device at your house to operate your fob to unlock your car. It's been suggested you keep your fob in a tin away from the front of the house. I've got mine in a baccy tin in my desk draw.

I've heard something about this too, dOOd.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 10:53 PM

It beggars belief really that people feel the need to have keyless entry for their cars. I mean how difficult is it to grab your key and press a button to unlock the doors? But no these people need that to be automatic when they are within a few feet of the car.

It was inevitable that this technology would end up extremely vulnerable to thieves. Madness really.

The thieves simply use a signal amplifier and a transmitter.

The amplifier is used by one thief who walks up to your house so he is in range of the key's small transmission radius. The amplifier picks up the key fob signal and sends it back out with a much stronger signal. Thief No 2 stands by the car with a transmitter device which first picks up the signal from the amplifier and then transmits it to the car.

Result the car doors unlock and the car can be started and the whole thing is done in complete silence.

This whole nonsense can be avoided by NOT having keyless car entry.

There will be similar outfall from the increase in voice activated devices in the future I predict.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top