Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Are we more constipated than we think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48528058

Doctors and the public are at odds over the symptoms of constipation, leaving some people without the advice or treatment they need, researchers say.

While medics think infrequent bowel movements are an important sign, less than a third of the public does, a study found.

The King's College London team said a new definition for constipation was needed, based on patient experiences.

Constipation is a very common condition, affecting around one in seven people who are otherwise healthy.

It means having difficultly opening or emptying the bowels, and passing stools - but the way it is diagnosed varies widely.

The researchers say this list of six groups of symptoms could help form a new definition of constipation:
  • abdominal discomfort, pain and bloating - clothes not fitting as well as usual
  • rectal discomfort - bleeding from pushing too hard, pain or burning sensation in the anal area
  • infrequent bowel movements and hard stools - normal can range from three times a day to three times a week
  • sensory dysfunction - not having the urge to go or a sense of incomplete evacuation
  • flatulence and bloating - noisy or smelly wind
  • faecal incontinence - uncontrolled leakage or rectal bleeding

How often should we poo?

This is difficult to answer - it can vary dramatically from person to person.

In the study, seven bowel movements a week was the average among people who weren't constipated.

But experts say three bowel movements a day to three a week qualifies as normal.

So you need to know what's normal for you - and then look out for changes.
Following my recent operation I was constipated for three days and it was most uncomfortable but now I'm normal and I have the average .....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 02:31 PM

Re: Are we more constipated than we think?

People need to keep active. Too much sitting down is the main cause of constipation (apparently) and Type 2 Diabetes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 02:33 PM

There are so many constipated people about .
Anal too .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 02:34 PM

What do the researchers say?

Dr Eirini Dimidi, study author from King's College London, said: "Our research may indicate that people who seek help for symptoms of constipation don't always have them recognised, diagnosed or managed."

She said constipation was usually caused by a lack of fibre or fluid in the diet but it could also be a sign of another underlying problem, such as bowel cancer, diverticular disease or coeliac disease.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 02:35 PM

Old Indian proverb
Advice to new bride .

Feed your husband plenty of Chilli .
Chilli cures constipation .

A constipated husband is a bad tempered husband
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Old Indian proverb
Advice to new bride .

Feed your husband plenty of Chilli .
Chilli cures constipation .

A constipated husband is a bad tempered husband
It doesn't actually cure it but it helps, apparently. Chilli contains capsaicin, which can irritate the bowels and trigger the urge to poo.

I find coffee helps. Caffeine in coffee increases peristalsis - the wave-like muscle contractions that push food along the digestive tract.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48528058

Following my recent operation I was constipated for three days and it was most uncomfortable but now I'm normal and I have the average .....

More than likely caused by analgesics - Morphine and/or Paracetamol & Codeine can cause constipation. I now regularly eat plums/Nectarines to assist in keepiing my bowels 'regular'.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 02:52 PM

Constipation is awful, I've only ever had it twice in my life (once very bad) and I was so relieved when I got the bugger out. It was like parting with a brick. TMI sorry

Joking aside, we can joke but it really isn't a laughing matter for the sufferer
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
More than likely caused by analgesics - Morphine and/or Paracetamol & Codeine can cause constipation. I now regularly eat plums/Nectarines to assist in keepiing my bowels 'regular'.
That’s right. These drugs can play havoc to the digestive symptom. It’s not ever a problem I have but when I got all my wisdom teeth out and was given strong painkillers with Codeine, it was .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
More than likely caused by analgesics - Morphine and/or Paracetamol & Codeine can cause constipation.
I was offered morphine but took only 2 paracetamol - I was given Co-codamol to take at home but I didn't use it.

What seemed to prompt my first "movement" was asking a friend to buy me a laxative - an hour after the request I got the "urge" then two hours later the friend turned up with the laxative .....

Thinking about it always seems to help me .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top