Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 02:54 AM

Anyone here had their appendix out?

I've been getting pains in my appendix area for a while now - and think I may need to have mine out.

Anyone had theirs out? How has your health been afterwards? how long ago did you have it taken out? Do you think having it removed has had any negative impact on your health otherwise?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 03:24 AM

Re: Anyone here had their appendix out?

Eeew, Az, better get that looked at! I still have mine so have no info. Now if you want to know about cataract surgery I can talk your ear off ......
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Aren't you a veggie Azz? It's meant to be much more prevalent in carnivores than veggies.
I haven't had appendicitis, but I did have what might have been appendix pains when I was young - about 22 I think - and underwent the only surgery I have ever had. Turns out it was an ovarian cyst, not my appendix, but as it was right sided they took out the appendix "whilst they were there" and my ovary. Don't expect that's your problem.
Recovery was uneventful; nothing has bothered me since.
If you're eating and drinking well and toileting easily and regularly (sorry - it's sounding like a cat or dog health post now, isn't it?) I wouldn't be too worried. But obviously keep an eye and seek medical advice if it feels necessary.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Blimey they took it out just cos they were there! Glad to hear you've been relatively healthy since

Thanks for the replies both - I have an appointment next week so will get the doc to check it out

ps, I'm not a veggie - just try to stick to organic or quality meat wherever possible
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 07:05 PM

I had mine out years ago, Been fine ever since....although do have a 3inch scar, don't they do it keyhole now???
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

06-08-2009, 07:56 PM

They can do - but only if it's not major, as a large/inflamed appendix is harder to get through the 'holes'... I think
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I've been getting pains in my appendix area for a while now - and think I may need to have mine out.

Anyone had theirs out? How has your health been afterwards? how long ago did you have it taken out? Do you think having it removed has had any negative impact on your health otherwise?
Yes, both myself and my son has had it removed.

Myself, when I was 4mths pregnant with my daughter..24 yrs ago...

My some was 12 ..17 yrs ago..

Both of us have not suffered any after effects.

Thing is Azz, if it needs to come out it will have to come out, and unless they have changed the criteria, you only have it out, when it has reached the no return stage...unless that has changed.

No lasting effects ,apart from the recovery period.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

06-08-2009, 08:21 PM

I guess I'm worried that until recently they thought it served no purpose - and now they have linked it to supporting the immune system and producing the 'good bacteria' our bodies need.

Hence I've been eating quite strictly since I started getting the pains - you lot won't believe how bland some of my food is lol.

I think it's my appendix, not just because of the area it hurts - but it plays up when I eat foods that are oily or highly flavoured (like M&S crisps). Also, my nephew had his out a few months ago and has been having problems with his stomach for about 2 years... that started after him catching a bug that made him violently sick. Guess what - I caught the same bug at the same time, I remember it because I've never been so horribly sick in my life!

Hope the doctor spots whatever is wrong - as it is getting worrying now
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 08:25 PM

If you haven't been tested yet Azz, I wonder if it could be an ulcer
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I guess I'm worried that until recently they thought it served no purpose - and now they have linked it to supporting the immune system and producing the 'good bacteria' our bodies need.

Hence I've been eating quite strictly since I started getting the pains - you lot won't believe how bland some of my food is lol.

I think it's my appendix, not just because of the area it hurts - but it plays up when I eat foods that are oily or highly flavoured (like M&S crisps). Also, my nephew had his out a few months ago and has been having problems with his stomach for about 2 years... that started after him catching a bug that made him violently sick. Guess what - I caught the same bug at the same time, I remember it because I've never been so horribly sick in my life!

Hope the doctor spots whatever is wrong - as it is getting worrying now
To be hones tAzz, sounds more like an ulcer, or even a hiatus hernia... if you get trouble after eating certain foods...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top