Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Donor register

Are you on the organ donor register?
And do you give blood (assuming they will take yours)?
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Re: Donor register

Yes, I am on the donor register. Unfortunately no longer able to give blood,but used to.

What do people think about the opt out scheme for donor organs? I am in favour as I think the question can come at a very difficult time for relatives. Unless it has been discussed it can be very hard to make that decision on behalf of someone else.

Was appalled recently by the news item that donated organs were being 'sold' to people who came from abroad to have a transplant here. That really upset me.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 07:04 PM

I'm scared of needles!

Not on the register yet but would like to be.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 07:55 PM

OH is a great believer in organ donation but personally for me I'm not sure. I wouldn't want someone else's organs inside me ...... I find the whole idea shudder-making. I used to give blood though, but can no longer do so due to medications.
Nippy
South Devon
Nippy is female  Nippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
OH is a great believer in organ donation but personally for me I'm not sure. I wouldn't want someone else's organs inside me ...... I find the whole idea shudder-making. I used to give blood though, but can no longer do so due to medications.
You know, you have made me feel a whole lot better!
I have a totally selfish attitude to organ donation I'm afraid.
You see, I am convinced that I will need all my organs in an after life. Therefore I want to hold on to them
They won't take my blood, otherwise they could have it.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nippy ->
You know, you have made me feel a whole lot better!
I have a totally selfish attitude to organ donation I'm afraid.
You see, I am convinced that I will need all my organs in an after life. Therefore I want to hold on to them
They won't take my blood, otherwise they could have it.
I believe similar to you really.
I believe we do come back again and again and live different lives. I can't donate my organs as I want to come back with them all intact.
I honestly believe that those that donated them or lost them in a previous life are those that are born blind (with cornea donation) or with other health problems depending on what was donated or taken.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 10:39 PM

I used to give blood and was given a little gold badge because I made a certain number of donations (I forget how many) . I stopped when the BTS made it difficult to donate by cutting the days of collection so one had to queue for ages and I don't do queues (bet I sound a real grump ).

I do carry a donor card and when my husband died a number of people received gifts of health and sight...
Lou
UK
Lou is female  Lou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 12:02 AM

I can't give blood. On medication x
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Meg - the BTS has changed markedly recently and one of the major changes (beside a huge improvement in the standard of post-donation goodies!) is an appointment system*. I'm usually on the couch, dripping, within a few minutes of my appointment time.
You can also donate until age 70 (subject to continuing good health, of course) provided you have been a donor before 65

*Look at their website and check when you can book
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Meg - the BTS has changed markedly recently and one of the major changes (beside a huge improvement in the standard of post-donation goodies!) is an appointment system*. I'm usually on the couch, dripping, within a few minutes of my appointment time.
You can also donate until age 70 (subject to continuing good health, of course) provided you have been a donor before 65

*Look at their website and check when you can book
Thanks DM I don't think I would be allowed to donate now because of health problems for which I will shortly be starting medication.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top