Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 07:22 AM

Be positive - live longer

An interesting study has just been published, which says that women with an optimistic nature outlive those who are miserable or mistrusting. Somehow that seems logical to me - if you want to wake up and see tomorrow and if you have nice things to look forward too why wouldn't you tend to achieve those ends?

The syudy dosn't appear to mention men but I wonder if their shorter avaerage lifespan is to do with their tending to worry, or to suffer more under the weight of responsibilities than women tend to?
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Re: Be positive - live longer

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
An interesting study has just been published, which says that women with an optimistic nature outlive those who are miserable or mistrusting. Somehow that seems logical to me - if you want to wake up and see tomorrow and if you have nice things to look forward too why wouldn't you tend to achieve those ends?

The syudy dosn't appear to mention men but I wonder if their shorter avaerage lifespan is to do with their tending to worry, or to suffer more under the weight of responsibilities than women tend to?
Interesting .. I have always been a "half glass full" person anyway

It probably has a ring of thruth to it, if you are always looking for the negative, it will drag you down.

Not sure about men I think its a personal thing rather than gender
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Hmm just as a point of interest, getting married increases a man`s average lifespan by about 10 years, and shortens the womans` by a year

As a very cheerful divorcee I`m laughing anyway!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 07:43 PM

I think there's some truth in it too - I feel sad for those who have nothing to look forward to in their lives. (of one the reasons why I wanted to start this site!)
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 10:16 PM

I see no point in wasting my days worrying about how I can prolong them.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 10:26 PM

I'm a glass half full person too; think an optimistic outlook is healthy.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Always seem to have been an optimist-don't see the point in being pessimistic-life is for living so lets all enjoy while we can
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 11:28 PM

22 months age my wife of 47 years died so death no longer frightens me.
I am not fussed about being here, being there, wherever there might be, might be a whole lot better.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2009, 02:21 PM

I think the Indian tradition of suttee has something to commend it (in theory), where long-long term partnerships are ended with the death of one partner. Leaping on a funeral pyre doesn't sound the nicest though.

I felt quite a lot of sympathy for the conductor and his wife who went to Dignitas (nasty!) recently. Both over 80, her with a terminal illness, he (a musician) suffering serious hearing loss. She was destined to die shortly and he did not want to live without her - sounds logical to me.

However I think in most cases that people do adjust. My mum was lost when my dad died in the 60th year of their marriage and the 66th year of their 'sweetheart-hood', but, two and a half years on, she has built herself a happy new, but different, life.
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2009, 07:59 PM

My OH makes sure I fully partake in the 'stresses' . . . charming! I'm by nature a trusting and forward-looking person but I feel so ground down by the pressures of trying to pacify a pessimist that I'm almost at the end of that particular road. Example - changing gear tonight and missing it resulted in a tirade worthy of one's team loosing the world cup

Life's too short for rubbish like that . . . whatever smelly stuff is going to hit us will do so . . . it's not worth stressing over, that's my philosophy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top