Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 01:49 PM

Swine Flu

What do you think will happen?
Do you think the whole thing has been over-hyped?
Or do you think we might have a flu epidemic in the winter?
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Re: Swine Flu

I think although it is something we need to be aware of a lot of it has been overhyped and I think there is a lot of people taking tamiflu etc that don't actually have swineflu but some virus instead.
Yes I think it will get worse in the winter but then so will normal flu and that will take lives of the vulnerable too.
I think the plague in China at the moment is something we should be watching more carefully as that is so easily spread and apparently is the same as the "Black Death"
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 06:01 PM

Blimey that plague sounds nasty MM! Hope it doesn't reach here - esp with all the imports we get from there.

Re swine flu - I'm not sure tbh, flu is flu and we get just as many deaths from normal flu don't we? Unless they've showed swine flu is different somehow?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 09:32 PM

I think it has been a bit overhyped, but am waiting to see how it plays out in the Southern hemisphere's Winter before I get terribly concerned. Right now the mortality rate is nothing like the great pandemic, and it seems to be attacking the young more than us older people. But the flu virus mutates very easily so it might become very serious if it does.

The plague in China is the pneumonic variety of the infamous Black Death, spread by air; but the Chinese seem to be handling it well ...have completely cordoned off the village. Now THAT would be something to worry about more than the flu!!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2009, 09:38 PM

I think I read that regarding the Pneumatic Plague in China antibiotics will cure it.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Speaking of Swine Flu, I was really angry this evening, I went shopping at Waitrose about 45 minutes before closing time, I've been doing this to avoid crowds as I'm trying to avoid getting Swine Flu (if its possible). Anyway there wasn't many people in there shopping at all but there was this one man doing his shopping and talking continually on his mobile at the same time and he was continually coughing and sniffing!! He wasn't even covering his mouth up whilst coughing, he was coughing all over the place!!! He was saying whilst talking on his phone "I was sniffling before I went, and now so and so (can't remember what name he said) has started sniffling, and I'm beginning to feel hot". I had a trolly full of food as our cupboards were bare at home so I couldn't just walk out and abandon the trolly but I did try to avoid him as much as I could. If he did have Swine Flu I thought how inconsiderate he was not caring about others in the store shopping, coughing all over everyone!!!!! Lets hope he didn't have it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2009, 09:55 PM

I hate that when people are coughing and spluttering all over the place with no consideration for others ........ I usually hold my breath until I'm in the next aisle, then I'm gasping for air!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I hate that when people are coughing and spluttering all over the place with no consideration for others ........ I usually hold my breath until I'm in the next aisle, then I'm gasping for air!!
Lol, I did that on the bus today ...held my breath as long as I could till my stop.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Lol, I did that on the bus today ...held my breath as long as I could till my stop.
I bet we look like we're having hot flushes Eileen!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

25-08-2009, 11:34 PM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top