Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 10:07 AM

Re: Turn off your engine

Why go into a town centre ? Unless you need to visit a charity or coffee shop there is nothing to see since stores have closed due to parking /congestion charges and online sites .... then of course there’s the actual cars themselves and the government killed car industry dead when it announced diesels may be charged in cities ( bye bye LANDROVER sales ) ... sadly cities and indeed the country is run by people who tell us they know better yet time after time are proven to be inadequate idiots
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 10:13 AM

The stop start systems were indeed introduced purely to meet emissions targets so manufacturers started to fit these systems to satisfy customers that they were doing their bit, even Aston Martin sold a car which was based on a Toyota iq, which was only available to their customers at £32000, !!, ( incidentally, they are still worth about that second hand) , the tests were conducted in laboratory conditions with the cars adjusted to make sure they met the relevant emissions, the new test is based more on real world driving, so fuel consumption figures should reflect more realistically on what you will be able to achieve. Whether stop start saves money will always be in debate, I think the councils move is more to cut pollution and improve air quality..
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 10:24 AM

https://youtu.be/t8D6N981zo8

Conversely

https://youtu.be/L7524u5w4ZE

One of my cars ( Ford Focus ST ) has stop start and most of the time I leave it ‘ on’ and the engine stops and starts itself with a green light showing on the dash to say engine is off but will auto restart as soon as I hit the clutch ...however I notice often after a lot of town driving the symbol goes grey in colour and the engine remains running , this is telling me the car has decided it does warrant a stop engine ( so nothing is broken sensor wise ) but that it’s decided not to ... I take from this that the battery voltage is lower than whatever it’s limits are for the time being ... so in other words if doing a lot of driving and charging battery as you drive then the odd stop is fine for engine management to cut engine but the very time you are actually doing a lot of stop starting ( in a city ) then it decides then to keep engine running ... and now your saying some guy from the council has decided he knows better than ford engineering and development teams and will charge me £20 for his wisdom ? Can see this ending in court sooner or later on these grounds

Back when men in sheds worked on cars before council experts took over the job , the rule of thumb was 3 mile drive recharges the power every turn of the key to start the engine took from the battery ... now the council is saying you are to switch off engine if sat in traffic ? But WHEN DO YOU RESTART ? When the light turns amber ? Green? When the car in front moves ? When the daffodils come into bloom ? It’s absolutely crazy considering cars have never been so clean , however I agree congestion is worse but then councils have made the bus and cycle lanes in order to increase congestion , bus stops now in the carriageway instead of in laybyes etc all designed to increase congestion in the hope you’ll simply give up and use something else instead
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
https://youtu.be/t8D6N981zo8

Conversely

https://youtu.be/L7524u5w4ZE

One of my cars ( Ford Focus ST ) has stop start and most of the time I leave it ‘ on’ and the engine stops and starts itself with a green light showing on the dash to say engine is off but will auto restart as soon as I hit the clutch ...however I notice often after a lot of town driving the symbol goes grey in colour and the engine remains running , this is telling me the car has decided it does warrant a stop engine ( so nothing is broken sensor wise ) but that it’s decided not to ... I take from this that the battery voltage is lower than whatever it’s limits are for the time being ... so in other words if doing a lot of driving and charging battery as you drive then the odd stop is fine for engine management to cut engine but the very time you are actually doing a lot of stop starting ( in a city ) then it decides then to keep engine running ... and now your saying some guy from the council has decided he knows better than ford engineering and development teams and will charge me £20 for his wisdom ? Can see this ending in court sooner or later on these grounds
Yes the s/s monitors battery voltage ( or rather the computer does) so if your battery charge doesn’t meet the criteria, then the engine won’t cut off, so this time of year, when using a lot of ancillaries, such as heaters, wipers ect, then it won’t cu5 out, or if it does it probably will restart a lot sooner, as I said, the council are concerned with meeting their air quality targets, so are introducing all sorts of measures..
Primus1
York

03-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Just found the article, apparently drivers will be asked to switch off their engines when parked on a public road, failure to do so could result in a £20, fine, they will not be asked to switch off in traffic unless caused by roadworks ect.
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/174...gines-running/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Just found the article, apparently drivers will be asked to switch off their engines when parked on a public road, failure to do so could result in a £20, fine, they will not be asked to switch off in traffic unless caused by roadworks ect.
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/174...gines-running/
Is this the same council that stopped everyone driving over a certain bridge Primus? And then fined all the drivers who disregarded the order, only later to be defeated in court and had to refund everyone who paid the fine....
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

03-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Councils don’t care about your health or well being , they couldn’t give a monkeys about you or business or anything ... they couldn’t care less about pot holes , flooding ... anything ... all the council cares about is money , money to pay themselves over inflated wages , money to fund stupid projects and tours abroad , money to pay their sick days and mostly money to pay their over inflated generous early pension schemes and sadly the motorist is the biggest cash cow out there be it speeding or now it appears they’ve devised a way to screw you even when stopped !

Councils know if they were paid on performance they would all be starving
Primus1
York

03-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Is this the same council that stopped everyone driving over a certain bridge Primus? And then fined all the drivers who disregarded the order, only later to be defeated in court and had to refund everyone who paid the fine....
Ah, yes, the infamous Lendal bridge, debacle, I think that was lib/dem council, but not sure, they have also closed traffic at micklegate bar, you can enter through the bar, but you cannot get out...
Primus1
York

03-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Councils don’t care about your health or well being , they couldn’t give a monkeys about you or business or anything ... they couldn’t care less about pot holes , flooding ... anything ... all the council cares about is money , money to pay themselves over inflated wages , money to fund stupid projects and tours abroad , money to pay their sick days and mostly money to pay their over inflated generous early pension schemes and sadly the motorist is the biggest cash cow out there be it speeding or now it appears they’ve devised a way to screw you even when stopped !

Sad but true, you can also add govt to that statement too..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 11:56 AM

I couldn't have put it better myself Marms. Plus they always seem to employ the thickest people.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top