Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Any Twitchers here

My neighbour and I are trying to identify a strange bird which appeared recently on the banks of a stream .

It is a good swimmer, in flight it resembles a swallow, it is bit smaller than a Blackbird and all black with a white bottom.

We have tried to get close to have a good look but once it spots us the bird flies further up stream so we can't get a good look at it.

I have looked at the RSPB web and the only bird that comes close in description is the Black Tern , any ideas?

Regarding location I live in Worcestershire close to the river Severn and the Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetland Trust is not far from here.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Re: Any Twitchers here

Try Funky Farmer.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2010, 10:44 PM

Sorry Meg, can't help you, but sounds a very interesting bird. Look forward to hearing what it is, if and when you're able to identify it..........
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2010, 10:05 PM

Can you get a picture of it? does'nt matter if it is not a close up.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2010, 10:10 PM

Is it maybe a dipper....???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-throated_Dipper
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2010, 11:58 PM

It does sound rather like a dipper. Does it dip and bob its body up and down when it is on the ground or on stones by the water.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2010, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Can you get a picture of it? does'nt matter if it is not a close up.
...I will try but it isn't easy, when I take the camera it is never there same with my neighbour .
Haven't seen it for a couple of days, I am wondering if it has gone now the thaw has arrived..
Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
It does sound rather like a dipper. Does it dip and bob its body up and down when it is on the ground or on stones by the water.
Thank you for the suggestions it is nothing like the Dipper which is a plump bird with short wings , it's far more sleek and elegant like a Swallow and it has a white bottom .
No it doesn't dip
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Manxman ->
Try Funky Farmer.
You called?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Funky Farmer ->
You called?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

29-04-2011, 10:28 AM

The bird has gone now, it was thought to be a
Black Tern

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top