Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:29 AM

Re: A question?

Welsh here and proud of it!
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Welsh here and proud of it!
I am too but i will always say im British
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 12:17 PM

I have English, Scottish and Irish in my make-up, so I have to say that I'm British.
It would have been rather nice to have found some Welsh ancestors too but having spent a few years researching my family tree, none has appeared, although I have a few on my periphery.

no lewd comments thank you
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Although a Brit by birth I am a bit of a mixture, which is fine by me. I took on Irish nationality as well, just for fun in 2008, because I could.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 01:35 PM

There is no easy answer to this! If you asked me which country I am from I would say England. If you asked for my Nationality I would say British. There are a few other things though, because if you asked me which Rugby team I supported it is usually England, but sometimes I support Wales.

Don't worry about it Dave because, if somebody really doesn't like what you call them a simple "sorry" should be all that is needed and, if they don't accept that, you will know that they are a bad mannered lout.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
Being a new-comer here and a Yank besides, is there a non-offensive way to speak of people from the UK. Are you English, or British, or does it now include Scotch and Welsh? Whenever I'm about to write something that requires "describing'' someone from the UK, is there one word that is used by all and won't offend anyone?
Lots of good advice on here, but one thing you really must remember when addressing someone from Yorkshire is not to use such terms as 'English' or 'British' as Yorkshire people are generally regarded as being superior beings compared to people from other parts of the country.

You can correctly refer to them as Yorkies, Tykes, or even God.

Incidentally, I was once told off for referring online to an American as a 'Yank'. Perhaps he was having a bad day.

Also, I'd like to add that I like Scotch, provided it is a single malt.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 10:18 PM

When I was a young whippersnapper, we played 'Cowboys and Indians'.

About ten years ago, that changed to American Indians.
About five years ago, it again changed to Native Americans.
Somewhere between those years, it was Amerindians.

I suppose there is a completely new word for them today.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We are British Dave .
We refer to Americans as Americans, Yanks was a war time term not generally used now .
We used to call Orstralians Poms ( prisoners of her Majesty ) but now they call us that - we call them other things
When in doubt just address us as Sir or Ma'am
Yes MA'am
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2016, 01:57 PM

I think I prefer to live in the UK than any other place in the world, but I certainly don't do the 'my country right or wrong' thing. The UK has plenty of faults, just like other places.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I think I prefer to live in the UK than any other place in the world, but I certainly don't do the 'my country right or wrong' thing. The UK has plenty of faults, just like other places.
What, even the Channel Islands?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top