Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 09:35 AM

Re: Time to simplify life

I did that last year when I got rid of most of my furniture

The house is now light. bright and minimalist and cleaning takes half the time with less stuff to move around.
Wish I had done it years ago .

Now if I move (I would like a tiny house) the hardest
work will have been done.

As one gets older there is no telling if reasonable health will remain or if doing things will become difficult.

I like to be well prepared
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm afraid I'm a bit of a clutterer. Not bad enough to be on a tv prog. yet, but working on it.
What does annoy me is the way I clutter work tops. I do like to see nice clear work tops yet mine are always full of stuff - plants mostly, pens, bits of writing pad, medicines, and even the birds mealworms for the next morning.
I do love my plants and flowers and I've always got plants, flowers, seedlings, cuttings, on my window sills which spill over on to the worktops. Plants are living things and I can't bear to throw bits away, I try to rescue and resucsitate every leaf and twig! Anything that looks like it's struggling, instead of throwing it away, it gets my best tlc instead.
I bought a cheap tiny 3 parts dead rhodedenron recently, barely more than 2 twigs. It really didn't look like it stood a chance, don't know why I bought it really, but I have persevered with the tlc and to my joy is has finally started growing new little leaves. I'm chuffed to bits.

I do clear out old clothes for the Salvation Army now and then though.
They have uniforms you know better to give them to the poor and homeless.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
They have uniforms you know better to give them to the poor and homeless.

Oh stoppit Nommy, you know jolly well what I meant.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 06:06 PM

My ex husband hoarded stuff in the garage . To take out the bins I had to carry them through the house as could not get through the piles of stuff ( no way to back door except through garage ) for 15 years I asked him to clear the garage out or make a walk way through and he never did , saying everything was useful and would one day come in handy.

When we divorced I passed the house and there were two huge skips full up with the stuff he said would come in useful one day ..

Ps , as you have read I carried the bins through the house each week , he never did ....just another reason to add to the divorce list

I now live in a small tidy minimilist house YAY ....
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 06:22 PM

Absolutely guilty ! I'm a hoarder. (It will come in useful one day).
It gives wifey and son (who lives with us for the moment) the total laxatives.

But they had a win a couple of months back.
Whilst I was recovering from an operation, they brought in a very large skip and filled it - plus about ten carloads of 'stuff' to the local dump.
In my condition, there was nothing I could do to stop it.
Watched for a while from the back deck and screamed "oh no, not my ......" to no avail.

Eventually, I could stand it no longer and refused to watch.
Some things really did have value - but most did not.

Of course all they have achieved is to make a great deal of space available for me to re-fill - which I am now working on with gusto.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 10:00 AM

I could never understand how people lack a conscience when ridding their partner's 'stuff'. If anybody ever threw my stuff away, while I was alive, I wouldn't talk to them again, ever!

As you know from before, I am self confessed hoarder. But I'm trying...honest!
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 10:27 AM

As somebody in the process of moving house, I can confirm that everything above is true... We are all magpies!

I have been taking so much stuff down to the tip, I now have a season ticket, and I think I am also on their pension scheme.

he charity shops still take some stuff off me, but have said no more books - nobody is buying books the way they used to. I used to work in one, and I know from experience the worst ones to get rid of are Readers Digests.... yet they still come in and I had to smile and say 'Thank you'.

I have been throwing clothes out that are six and eight inches tighter around the waist than I now comfortably wear. I kept thinking, well, one day I may go on a diet. My wife nags and says I need at least five diets to even think about it.

Anybody wanna buy a Teddyboy outfit? Or a wedding suit?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 10:37 AM

I don't have that problem. I only keep useful stuff. Tons of it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top