Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 01:48 AM

A question?

Being a new-comer here and a Yank besides, is there a non-offensive way to speak of people from the UK. Are you English, or British, or does it now include Scotch and Welsh? Whenever I'm about to write something that requires "describing'' someone from the UK, is there one word that is used by all and won't offend anyone?

Better to ask than offend half of the posters on this board.

I guess we, over here, would be Yanks, Americans, from the US, or in less polite terms, as-----s. All of them would fit - -I believe.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 06:20 AM

Re: A question?

"Pommies" will do. Covers them all in a non racist, non religious, non gender specific way (though my Welsh friend insists upon being designated an "ethnic Pom"
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 07:23 AM

I don't suppose it matters what you call us on here, a forum, but outside? Ah well, a different matter. If we have to complete a form and need to state our ethnicity, then the word 'English' doesn't exist! I would have to describe myself as 'White British'.

Personally? I would rather be described as English... but that is very un PC daaaaaaarling!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Write away Dave, it will be interesting to read your own opinion. Over here most of us are proud of our county's from which we hail. And lots of banter ensues if you say something that we find out of order. Scotland, Wales and Ireland all have strong identity's and fight their corners well, idoubt you will cause offence.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 07:28 AM

Call us all Brits.....but do remember that 'Scotch' is a drink....the correct term for those northern Brits is 'Scottish'
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 07:39 AM

There'll always be an England, I prefer to be regarded as English not british.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
Being a new-comer here and a Yank besides, is there a non-offensive way to speak of people from the UK. Are you English, or British, or does it now include Scotch and Welsh? Whenever I'm about to write something that requires "describing'' someone from the UK, is there one word that is used by all and won't offend anyone?

I guess we, over here, would be Yanks, Americans, from the US, or in less polite terms, as-----s. All of them would fit - -I believe.
British is the term, I get irritated if I am described as English.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 08:18 AM

Thanks for asking the question Dave, as I am not sure of the correct terminology myself.
But it seems there's no correct answer!

Originally Posted by basser ->
There'll always be an England, I prefer to be regarded as English not british.
Originally Posted by tarantula ->
British is the term, I get irritated if I am described as English.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->

We are British Dave .
We refer to Americans as Americans, Yanks was a war time term not generally used now .
We used to call Orstralians Poms ( prisoners of her Majesty ) but now they call us that - we call them other things
When in doubt just address us as Sir or Ma'am
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 08:26 AM

If im asked, in order as follows.

Northumbrian, my county,

Geordie, born on the banks of the river Tyne,

English, my country.

British, part of a collection of countries.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top