Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 03:31 PM

Re: No deal Brexit more damaging than BSE crisis

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The info is here.

http://beefandlamb.ahdb.org.uk/marke...der-wto-rules/

No Deal means Tariffs on UK Lamb exports to the EU of between 40 and 90%, that means our farmers will be making a loss on every lamb, not a profit.
You mean trading on wto-terms? The kind of trade that farage is promoting? And it is at the disadvantage for britain? But farage has britain's best interests at heart!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 03:33 PM

Hi

Really?

UK Lamb cannot compete on those levels of Tariffs, our production costs are much higher.

Export elsewhere is also not an option because of Tariffs.

Lamb is expensive, people buy what they can afford.

A lot of ordinary people buy chicken and pork, much cheaper alternatives.

As you say, Go Boris.

This is one of the problems he has to sort out.

A genuine good luck to him, we will need it.

Eh ? Export of our lamb is not an option ? If the EU common external tarrif on lamb is 40% to 90% (as you say - I'll take your word for it) then we export to countries that have lower tarrifs instead. Or even better, set up our own trade deals ... imagine that !
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Hi

Really?

UK Lamb cannot compete on those levels of Tariffs, our production costs are much higher.

As you say, Go Boris.

This is one of the problems he has to sort out.

A genuine good luck to him, we will need it.
Production of a lamb costs on average, £ 193. https://meatpromotion.wales/en/indus...-of-production

Question: does new zealand at present pay the same tariffs as the UK would as a third country? And NZ is still competitive with britain's mutton without tariffs?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Production of a lamb costs on average, £ 193. https://meatpromotion.wales/en/indus...-of-production

Question: does new zealand at present pay the same tariffs as the UK would as a third country? And NZ is still competitive with britain's mutton without tariffs?
Yes - its subject to the common external tarrif the same as the USA and all other 3rd countries.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Eh ? Export of our lamb is not an option ? If the EU common external tarrif on lamb is 40% to 90% (as you say - I'll take your word for it) then we export to countries that have lower tarrifs instead. Or even better, set up our own trade deals ... imagine that !
Hi

No need to take my word for it, read the link.

Exporting to Countries with lower Tariffs?

We cannot meet production costs, so ours will still be more expensive.

Set up our own Trade Deals.

Yes, that is what we are wanting to do, but it takes years and others already have Trade Deals and lower production costs.

The facts of the matter are here

https://www.agmrc.org/commodities-pr...l-lamb-profile

No Deal means leaving the World's biggest importer, the EU, to which we have tariff and Quota Free access and competing with Countries which have lower production costs and existing Trade Deals.

Squaring that circle by the end of October will be difficult.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 05:03 PM

Set up our own Trade Deals.

Yes, that is what we are wanting to do, but it takes years and others already have Trade Deals and lower production costs.
Doesn't need to take years at all. Two parties mutually agreeing trading terms can happen as quick as the two parties want it to. Project fear again.

If we ARE ever allowed to leave, which I seriously seriously now doubt then all this "catastrophe" BS will quickly be exposed for the crap it is.

We were told by the arch Liar Blair that NOT joining the Eurozone would be a catastrophe, that it would not be in the national interest to stay out. But stay out we did and his "Project Fear" BS was exposed for all it was. Thank god we stayed out of the Euro. It has been an utter catastrophe for so many countries.

With Boris now in No 10 the EU stooge Remaniacs are going to go hell for leather with the "No Deal will be catastrophic" as this very thread demonstrates ably.

We will find ways to meet the challenges and we will prosper if we are ever allowed out of the EU cesspit.

Unfortunately we are highly likely to be purposely kept in the EU. Sad and sorry days for democracy and the British Constitution.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Hi

The info is here.

http://beefandlamb.ahdb.org.uk/marke...der-wto-rules/

No Deal means Tariffs on UK Lamb exports to the EU of between 40 and 90%, that means our farmers will be making a loss on every lamb, not a profit.
Thanks swimfeeders, the same website as I found but still I cannot find that same information on that website. I've read it on the link you gave and it's complicated.

No longer a problem though, it's just far too complicated for me so I will revert to my usual practice of not posting on Brexit threads. I just don't understand it well enough, other than thinking rightly or wrongly that we have been well and truly stitched-up all ways round!

Thanks anyway, much obliged.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

23-07-2019, 06:06 PM

I think there is only the South Korean FTA with the EU that's actually a FTA..?

Canada hasn't been ratified

#edited
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 06:12 PM

why don't we eat our own lamb?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

23-07-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
why don't we eat our own lamb?
If it's double the price of NZ lamb on the same shelf?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top