Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 03:29 PM

Re: The Multi Million Pound Speeding Business

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Change down when preparing to stop?

I just depress the clutch and change into an appropriate gear in case I need to drive off.

Did he mean to go into neutral or just keep slowing down in gear until the engine stalls?
It's more about engine wear and fuel saving. In days of old, when knights were bold and toilets weren't invented they used to advise people to change down gears esp when going downhill. It means the car brakes using the engine rather than the brakes. If you were on a steep hill, there is wisdom in this, you get a more controlled descent. On a less steep hill though you can just coast in neutral allowing gravity to propel the car and use the brakes to bring you to a controlled halt.

This will mean that you will wear the brakes more than you would otherwise, but when a set of brake pads cost maybe £50-£80 and a new engine costs £1000s then it makes sense.

Equally any time you are on a flat road and can see you are going to need to stop for a junction or traffic light then again, coasting in neutral and using the brakes is going to save a little fuel.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Change down when preparing to stop?

I just depress the clutch and change into an appropriate gear in case I need to drive off.

Did he mean to go into neutral or just keep slowing down in gear until the engine stalls?

The advice was to carry on in the gear you were in, dip the clutch at the end.
The reasoning given was that with modern brakes it is not necessary to use the gears to slow down.
I was taught to be in the appropriate gear at all times, thus in proper control of the vehicle.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's more about engine wear and fuel saving. In days of old, when knights were bold and toilets weren't invented they used to advise people to change down gears esp when going downhill. It means the car brakes using the engine rather than the brakes. If you were on a steep hill, there is wisdom in this, you get a more controlled descent. On a less steep hill though you can just coast in neutral allowing gravity to propel the car and use the brakes to bring you to a controlled halt.

This will mean that you will wear the brakes more than you would otherwise, but when a set of brake pads cost maybe £50-£80 and a new engine costs £1000s then it makes sense.

Equally any time you are on a flat road and can see you are going to need to stop for a junction or traffic light then again, coasting in neutral and using the brakes is going to save a little fuel.

Coasting in neutral?

Seriously? It's a stupid idea and unsafe to boot.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Yes, I agree with this and also change down (usually to third) on a very steep hill. It makes sense even today.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
The advice was to carry on in the gear you were in, dip the clutch at the end.
The reasoning given was that with modern brakes it is not necessary to use the gears to slow down.
I was taught to be in the appropriate gear at all times, thus in proper control of the vehicle.
I think I may not have been sufficiently clear. I keep the clutch depressed, even when changing down. I don't usually use the engine to brake; just like to be ready in case I need to set off again.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 08:26 PM

I was under the impression that a car in neutral and allowed to roll along was out of control....I also change down to control the speed of the vehicle unless in an emergency....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I was under the impression that a car in neutral and allowed to roll along was out of control....I also change down to control the speed of the vehicle unless in an emergency....
No that's patently nonsense. What you may be confused with is a car with the engine switched off coasting down the road. That would be out of control.

With the engine running your car is fully functional, including the power steering and brakes. You are no less in control of your vehicle out of gear than when it is in gear.

Using the engine to slow the car rather than brakes is a very bad idea these days. It will ultimately damage the engine.
Brakes will control and slow the car just fine and new brake pads are far far cheaper than a new engine.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Image result for driving in neutral illegal
In addition to safety, the other reason not to coast in neutral is that you will use more gas than coasting in gear. In modern computerized automobiles, the engine can cut off fuel if there is low load or no load on the engine. ... Because you are in gear, the wheels will keep turning the engine so that it doesn't stall.30 May 2014

Downhill in neutral is illegal and dumb, and a lot of drivers ...
https://www.mercurynews.com/.../road...al-and-dumb-an...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 09:18 PM

Coasting in neutral with the engine idling uses fuel.
Stay in gear with engine braking cuts off the fuel in most modern cars thus saving fuel.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Coasting in neutral with the engine idling uses fuel.
Stay in gear with engine braking cuts off the fuel in most modern cars thus saving fuel.
I agree, can’t see how using engine braking can damage an engine,

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top